Please sign in to post.

Train schedule question

My daughter and I will be training between Florence and Vernazza on May 1, and Vernazza and Pisa on May 3. I have just looked up the train schedule and it says the trains may not run every day but doesn't give the days specifically. Am I just looking too early and the schedules haven't been finalized yet or should I be worried? I would think there would be multiple, daily trains between Florence, Cinque Terre and Pisa during tourist season. Thanks for your help!

Posted by
20158 posts

Where are you looking this up? It sounds like a note on the Deutsche Bahn site. Try looking at the specific dates at www.trenitalia.com. Trains are not bookable yet, but it will show the schedule.
Edit- May 1 is May Day, Italian Labor Day holiday and might effect the schedule.

Posted by
15199 posts

Go to Trenitalia.com.
Now it’s too early, but I wouldn’t bother to prepurchase for your specific trip. Most or all the journey is aboard Regional (commuter) trains that offer no discounts and do not permit reservation (first come first served like the NYC subway).
There is also a fast option. A Frecciabianca high speed train departing at 07:38 am from FIRENZE CAMPO DI MARTE station (not Santa Maria Novella station). If you decide to take that option then booking ahead may make sense so you get a nice discount. I recommend that Frecciabianca option if you go from Florence on a day trip as that train will maximize your time at the Cinque Terre for one day. If you stay a the Cinque Terre for a while, then saving 1 hour may not be that crucial and maybe you prefer to sleep a little longer. On any options you decide to use, at least one train change at La Spezia is required to go to Vernazza.

Posted by
3812 posts

On the official site linked above the complete winter schedules have been published up to the 9th of June. Tickets can be purchased only 120 days in advance, Roberto is right: it's too early to buy (not to make plans).
The direct link to the english version of trenitalia.com is www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Posted by
16893 posts

Deutsche Bahn also only shows trains that are confirmed as scheduled for particular dates. It doesn't show you anything without a specific date. The combination shown may not run at the exact same time every day, but it does run on the day that you searched.

• Sometimes, there are further, rather cryptic notes to describe the days of operation, or sometimes a calendar link, but really no need to worry or even care.

• On May 1, the usual schedule for Sundays and Holidays will operate and is different from weekday service.

• Some schedules are also only set through June 9, which also qualifies as "not every day" in the mind of DB, which tends to set its schedule for the whole year.