Please sign in to post.

Train Schedule Christmas Season 2017

Hi all,

I am trying to make reservations for some trips between cities while we travel in Italy. Looks like their Christmas season (December 10th and on) schedule is not up yet... Hoping they are not sold out yet. I am mainly concerned about the train trip from Florence to Rome on December 24th. Is there anyway I can be notified via email when their train schedule is up on the website?

Thank you for your help and guidance!

Posted by
23301 posts

Nope, just keep checking. Trains rarely sell out in Italy.

Posted by
8889 posts

The train times for most railway companies change every year on the second Sunday in December (10th December this year).
They are not finalised, and therefore not posted, until 1-2 months in advance. Also, the timetables are not all finalised and released at the same time, some routes are released before others. But, when the times are fixed, it will be for the complete 6 month period.

AFAIK there is no way to be automatically informed when they are released, you will just have to keep trying.
You can assume the times will be 90%+ unchanged. There is no "special" timetable for the Christmas period. Some railway companies (the Swiss and Germans) fix their times and publish them for the whole 12 months, December to December.
This problem affects Christmas and New Year travel every year for people who want to buy tickets a long time in advance.

Posted by
20186 posts

They can't sell out if they haven't even been offered for sale yet. High speed trains will be listed, I'm going to say sometime in October. Also, keep an eye on Italo Treno. They also do High Speed Rail between Florence and Rome. They run on the same tracks as Trenitalia, so I don't think they will show anything earlier. The track time has to be coordinated.

Posted by
16893 posts

Trains in Italy usually operate a typical Sunday schedule on holidays. (The only country where trains really shut down over Christmas is Great Britain.)

The fast, reserved trains, such as those operating between Florence and Rome, will usually be the first to be published from the winter schedule. Regional train schedules may not be online much before they actually apply on Dec. 11.

Posted by
46 posts

Thank you everyone for your great feedback!

I continue to check the both websites (italo and trenitalia) and the schedule after Dec. 10th, 2017 became available little by little last few days. I got tickets for fast trains between Florence and Rome that I was most worried about, so thank you!!

I am still debating on online purchase for regional trains - between Venice and Ferrara on Dec. 17th. I heard there are NO advantage buying regional train tickets in advance. What are your thoughts? I am wondering because it is a holiday season.

Thank you!

Posted by
3812 posts

Regional trains have no reserved seats, so they can't sell out. There is no reason to be tied to a Regional train ticket purchased in advance.
You seem a little obsessed by the holydays, but local trains are less crowded when commuters and students are on vacation.

Posted by
46 posts

Thank you for your reply, darioalb.

Ha ha, do I sound "obsessed?" Sounds like I should tone it down then. No wonder my husband is getting sick of talking about "plans." Well, this is my first time to visit Italy, and it is holiday season. I just wondered how it is like there during Christmas season... I think I am getting obsessed about packing too. May be addicted at this point!

Posted by
23301 posts

Darioalb is absolutely correct. Never buy Regionale train on line. On-line Regionale ticket sales come with additional restrictions on usage. Buy the tickets at the train station a day or two earlier or at a local travel agency, be sure to validate (time stamp) prior to getting on the train and you are good to go.

Trains in Italy do not sell out. Remember there generally is a train every hour and sometimes more frequent.

Same for your luggage, don't worry about it. Italy is a modern country. If you forget something you can always buy it there.

Posted by
20186 posts

The Regionale Veloce to Ferrara goes at 42 past the hour on its current schedule, (except there is no 9:42). The train originates at Venezia Santa Lucia station. The trains can't sell out so you can stand if you have too, but if you arrive 15 minutes or so before departure, the train will be spotted on the platform and you can be one of the first to board and find a seat. The final destination is Bologna Centrale, so that is what to look for on the departure board.

Posted by
46 posts

Alright! Thank you everyone. I will take it easy and roll with it as much as possible.