Please sign in to post.

train rome to florence

we will be arriving at the Rome airport around 1:00 pm and taking a cab to the Rome Termini - and then taking a train to Florence - My concern is that if I purchase the train tickets in advance - and my flight is delayed - can the ticket be amended for a later time -Would it make sense to wait until we arrive at the train station to purchase the tickets - or would we end up paying a lot more for them.

Posted by
15202 posts

If you pre purchase a discounted ticket (called super-economy) you cannot change it and you lose your money.
On the day of arrival, if I fly to Rome (my last destination is Florence), I purchase the ticket at the airport station upon arrival and pay the base price (€14 from the airport to Roma Termini plus €45 from Termini to Firenze SAnta Maria Novella).
I don't take a taxi from the airport to the station if I need to take a train, I use the train from the airport. A taxi costs €48. Unless it's at least 3 of you traveling together, it makes sense to take the train from the get go at the airport. The train is also faster.

Posted by
23296 posts

Just for a little clarity. Three levels of tickets - Super economy, Economy, Base. The super economy cannot be exchanged or refunded. Economy can be exchanged once for a base ticket paying the difference. And, of course, the base can be exchange for another. However, all of this must be done before the train leaves the station. If the train goes, all tickets are dead. Super economy is cheap enough - maybe 9 or 10 Euro depending on train - that you could gamble and simply throw away if you miss it. The economy would probably be a safer bet because you could exchange it at the airport train station if you thought you were going to miss the train. And, of course, the easiest way is to buy a base ticket at the airport station when you know you schedule.

As Roberto recommended, unless there is a bunch of your take the Leonard Express from the airport. Train station to train station. Much easier and cheaper than taking a taxi.

Are you arriving on an international flight or domestic? That makes a potentially big difference for your planning.

Posted by
16893 posts

For the reasons above, I would buy the tickets at the train station, not online.

Posted by
32213 posts

gayle,

To second the advice from the others, I wouldn't pre-purchase a ticket especially if you're taking a Taxi from the airport to Roma Termini as you'll be dealing with mid-afternoon traffic so the trip could be easy or it could take awhile. OTOH, the Leonardo Express takes 32 minutes, with no concerns about traffic.

You can buy tickets for your entire journey at the airport rail station, either using one of the Kiosks (very easy to use) or a staffed ticket office. While there could always be unexpected delays with any mode of transportation, that will be the best way to ensure you make your connection with the Freccia train to Florence. Note that the Freccia high speed trains have compulsory reservations that are specific to one train, date and departure time.