Please sign in to post.

Train Reservations for Sept 2022

We've just decided to plan a trip to Italy at the end of September 2022 and would like to know if we'll have any trouble getting train reservations since it's only a few months away. This is our plan:

Venice, Siena, Florence, Sorrento and Rome

Should we be worried that we won't be able to get reservations now... or is it still early enough. We're putting all these details together before we make our final decision.

Thank you.

Posted by
6901 posts

It is actually too early to get train reservations for September. Bookings will open in May, 120 days ahead. FYI most European railways only open bookings 60-120 days ahead, depending on the country.

Posted by
8383 posts

This is a worry you don’t need to have. You are way ahead of time for purchasing tickets.

Posted by
7294 posts

I just purchased half of my itinerary train tickets for June. The rest weren’t available, yet.

Posted by
3812 posts

it's only a few months away.

Only? Most train tickets in Europe are sold within one week from the departure day! Wait for June 13 and then get all the tickets you want. You'd better read how discounted train tickets work before clicking the "Buy" button.

From Venice to Florence and from Rome to Naples you can choose between Trenitalia and Italotreno. Most take the bus from Florence to Siena and then from Siena to Rome Tiburtina station. The suburban train from Naples to Sorrento is not run by Trenitalia or Italotreno.

Posted by
103 posts

Take this time to learn and research the Italian train systems, the types of tix available, the desired routes and timetables. Become a mini-expert so you can pounce when the time is ripe. A good place to start is a website called The Man in Seat 61 or https://www.seat61.com. Also, the Transportation category on this Forum has some good discussion strings worth reviewing.

Posted by
6068 posts

I just purchased tix last week for our trip that begins 4/23
You have plenty of time

Posted by
41 posts

Would appreciate any suggestions on my schedule.

Depart - USA
Day 1 - Arrive Venice
Day 2 - Venice
Day 3 - Venice
Day 4- Venice - Siena (train)
Day 5 - Siena (rent car and travel Tuscany region)
Day 6 - Siena
Day 7 - Siena - Florence
Day 8 - Florence
Day 9 - Florence
Day 10 - Florence
Day 11 - Florence - Sorrento (via Rome?)
Day 12 - Sorrento
Day 13 - Sorrento
Day 14 - Sorrento/Rome
Day 15 - Rome
Day 16 - Rome
Day 17 - Depart to US

Should I make Venice a shorter stay and add a day to Rome? I also don't want to fly out of Naples--I would prefer to fly out of Rome. I can also switch it and start out in Rome and end in Venice. I would really appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

Posted by
6068 posts

It’s a decent plan but if you’ve never been to Rome it needs more time.
Half a day to get there from Sorrento only leaves 2 full days for lots to see

List what you want to do in Venice and in Florence, you might be able to take nights from those locations.
Oops I thought you had 4 nights Venice but only 3 so no I wouldn’t take from Venice

Starting in Venice is usually better/easier than Rome
I wouldn’t change the direction

I’d do Florence then Siena
Get car as you leave Florence ( you’ll have more options for rentals in Florence)
After Siena you could drive to Chiusi or as far as Rome to drop car
Or drop in Siena but you’ll have to backtrack to Florence for direct train south
Be sure you do your homework about rentals and driving in Italy

You are trying to cover a lot of ground in just 16 nights.
As much as we love Sorrento- that is what I would cut. It will take you a good part if the day just to get there

We spent 5 nights in Rome on our first visit (that was a 17 night trip) heading back for our 4th visit to Rome next month. The major sights all take good part of a day ( Colosseum, Vatican)

When we visited Amalfi/Sorrento we spent 9 nights in that area

ETA
There are direct trains from Florence to Naples. Then you have several options to get to Sorrento
Shouldn’t have to change in Rome
( lots of posts here about getting to Sorrento, do a few searches and you’ll find)

www.Rome2rio.com is a neat site that will show you your transpo options and give you an idea of transit time
But always confirm with the actual train site
https://www.trenitalia.com/content/tcom/en.html

Posted by
3812 posts

Day 4- Venice - Siena (train)
Day 5 - Siena (rent car and travel Tuscany region)
Day 6 - Siena
Day 7 - Siena - Florence

why are you staying in Siena before Florence? You'll have to transfer in Florence to take the train to Siena. And why not driving from Siena to Roma Termini station to take the train to Naples? Another option is a bus from Siena to Roma Tiburtina station, where all high-speed trains going south stop before Termini.

Day 11 - Florence - Sorrento (via Rome?)

Via Naples, the local trains to Sorrento depart from the underground tracks of Naples Centrale station.

Posted by
27122 posts

You only have two full, non-jetlagged days in Venice. I certainly wouldn't take away any of that time!

I think for a trip beginning in late September, you've set it up right. I'd definitely want to start in the north and move south. Your chances of chilly, rainy weather will increase a bit if you reverse your itinerary.

Posted by
4412 posts

All train info located with that Man in Seat 61, he will advise. Including whether passes make any sense.

Posted by
41 posts

Thank you for your responses. Someone suggested Venice, Florence, Siena and drive to Rome. I was thinking Venice, Siena, and Florence and then take the direct train to Naples. Any other suggestions....

Posted by
6068 posts

As long as you can get the car you need in Siena then Venice-Siena works ok
Does make sense with the train connection

You’ll have to change in Florence to get to Siena
Rent the car for ONLY the days you need
Rates are super high this year