Please sign in to post.

Train Reservations??

I will be arriving FCO and wanting to get to Florence the same day. We all know airplanes can be late. So, how do I make reservations for the fast train to Florence in advance? What happens if I make a reservation on the fast train and my plane is delayed causing me to miss the train?

Posted by
204 posts

In over 60 years of travel to Europe, very often Roma, I have never bought a ticket in advance from the US, including on that very train to Firenze. It simply is not necessary. Unless you are traveling on some special day like Easter or Christmas, you can buy your tickets at the booth in FCO where you catch the train into Termini or, for that matter, at Termini. You have to go there anyway. Indeed we never buy tickets from the US to anywhere. You can buy train tickets in any travel shop anywhere. Your hotel can point out a convenient one or you can use one of the many you will find in every airport and train station. We prefer first class because it is less crowded but second class gets there at the same time and many trains only have one class.

Posted by
23269 posts

There are 53 trains a day to Florence. I am sure you can find one that you like. If you miss a train you have 90 minutes to exchange the ticket. And that could be a pain in Termini since the lines are frequently long for a live ticket person.

Posted by
306 posts

Now need to buy a ticket in the US. Go straight to termini and buy a ticket on the first to Florence. Plus I don't think you could buy a train ticket in the US even if you wanted to.

Posted by
7560 posts

All of what was said above. Land. Head to Termini. Go to a ticket machine (some take CC some do not) and have your pick of departures. We actually take a train a half hour or hour from the moment, head down to the grocery and get a sandwich, beer, wine, or snacks for the trip.

Posted by
1449 posts

One other option, since you need to take the train from FCO to Termini anyway, is to buy your ticket from the manned window in the small station at the airport. Usually not much of a line (based on 2 trips), and they'll put you on the next train out. Otherwise, as others said, buy from the machines at Termini.

Posted by
6898 posts

The high-speed trains from Rome to Florence run as frequently as the MAX so don't worry. As suggested above, buy your tickets at the ticket window at FCO. Since the high-speed tickets have a specific train number and departure time, give yourself 30 minutes to ride the Leonardo Express and another 10 to 15 minutes to transition from track 25 to the high-speed tracks. 60-75 minutes from the time of purcahse at FCO works well. If you just missed the Leondardo Express, you will have a 30-minute wait for the next one. The ticket agents are very wise on this transition to Florence.