Please sign in to post.

Train Reservations

For the trains in which a reservation is compulsory, how long in advance did you reserve? I was planning on reserving a few days in advance. For example: The day I arrive in Florence, I would reserve for Rome which is my next connection. I will be there in July. Should I reserve before leaving the States? If so, which website did you use? Thank you.

Posted by
32212 posts

Jael, I'd suggest reserving the trip from Florence to Rome when you arrive in Florence. There are LOTS of trains on that route every day, so you should have no trouble getting a reservation (even in July). Even if a particular train is sold-out, there will be another one in an hour or so. As you only asked about reservations, I assume you'll be travelling with a Railpass? Happy travels!

Posted by
23269 posts

There are 53 trains between Florence and Rome. I am sure one will have a vacant seat. The only advantage to reserving earlier is the discount available on the faster trains. Otherwise you plan will work.

Posted by
40 posts

Yes! We got our EU rail passes today :) I am most concerned about Milan-Nice because there are only about 5 trains a day, and we will be traveling July 13th. Day before Bastille Day. Should I reserve that route when I arrive in Europe June 20th? Will that be enough time?

Posted by
7737 posts

Just FYI for anyone else reading this, it's almost always cheaper to buy point-to-point tickets than to buy a Eurail pass, at least in Italy. Happy travels.

Posted by
40 posts

Michael, Is it cheaper even if you are taking all high speed trains?

Posted by
23269 posts

Probably because you have to pay reservation fees and the high speed trains are the most expensive. But I assume you did you homework by pricing p2p against the pass.

Posted by
7737 posts

Even if you're doing all high speed trains, p2p tends to be less expensive. Plus, p2p gives you the additional option of accessing the MINI discount and saving even more money. More info here: http://www.roninrome.com/%20transportation/booking-on-the-trenitalia-website But Jael, I wouldn't sweat it. You've already got the Eurail passes, so don't look back. I just wanted to post this info for others. There's still this concept out there among many Americans that if you're traveling in Europe you have to buy a Eurail pass. It's just not true. It reminds me of the now (finally and thankfully) dying notion that you need to take traveler's cheques with you to Europe.