Please sign in to post.

train reservations

how much do these usually cost in addition to the ticket itself?
is it dependent upon where you are going to and where you are leaving from?

Posted by
16359 posts

In which countries will you be traveling? In Italy, reservations are included in the price of the ticket on trains where reservations are required. The same was true of tickets we bought in Switzerland for travel to Milan. I think seat reservation cost is mainly an issue for people using rail passes, not tickets.

Posted by
10244 posts

Actually, I seem to remember paying a small amount extra for train reservations in Italy. I think the price of the reservation is the same, no matter the distance. You are just "buying" your seat. I was on a couple of trains where I observed that people without reservations sometimes had trouble finding a seat, and had to keep moving. IMO it is worth the small price. We were there in September and the trains were fairly crowded. We did not have rail passes.

Posted by
4152 posts

The price of a seat reservation is included in the ticket price if you buy your ticket on the trenitalia website or at the station. There is no up-fee for this. It's only when you have a rail pass that there is a reservation fee. It's usually 10 euros per person per seat. The only time there would not be a fee with a rail pass is if you're using a regional train that doesn't have reserved seats. Donna

Posted by
10244 posts

I'm not disputing what Donna said, because I think she has a lot more experience in Italy than my one trip there. Besides buying a ticket at the station Rome to go to Orvieto, we purchased our tickets from a travel agent in Florence and another one in Varenna. I'm just wondering why on a couple of trains there were people who had to keep moving because they were sitting in seats that other people had reserved?

Posted by
2091 posts

Andrea, that's because for some trains reservations are advised but not required. We have also had times when we had seat reservations and discovered someone already sitting in them but without reservations! Sometimes they'll move and other times they won't. Very frustrating but what can you do--I certainly don't want to cause a fight!!!

Posted by
16359 posts

Andrea, when wee you in Italy? That may explain the difference. We were just there in July 2010, and seat reservations were mandatory and included in the price for all IC and ES trains. In one case, we purchased out Ticket too close to the time of departure to get seat reservations. We still had to pay the reservation fee; we just weren't assigned a seat. fortunately the train wasn't crowded and we did find seats with no trouble.

Posted by
32219 posts

Leslie, As the others have mentioned, reservations will be included in the cost if you're using P-P tickets. Those using Railpasses will have to pay separately for those. Generally speaking, reservations are usually compulsory on the fast trains such as the EuroStar Italia / Alta Velocita. DON'T be caught without a valid reservation in Italy, or you'll be fined on the spot! You may find it helpful to download the free PDF Reservation Fee list from the Railpasses section. Go to the "Train Reservations" section and click on the link on the right side of the page. Cheers!

Posted by
4152 posts

Yes, all ES trains require a seat reservation. As said, if you buy your tickets at the train station the seat reservation fee will be included in the price of the ticket. If you have a pass it's usually a 10 euro additional fee. As for people sitting in your reserved seat, sometimes they get to the station to late to book a seat and just choose one they like. If you have a reservation for that seat they must move. You can call the conductor to have them removed from your seat or you can sit somewhere else and run the risk of being in another reserved seat and being asked to move. The people without a seat reservation were allowed to buy tickets because the train wasn't sold out and they would be able to find a vacant seat. I've had this happen on one occasion and the people just got up and moved when I showed them my ticket. Donna

Posted by
10244 posts

I was there in September 2010. I used point to point tickets, not a rail pass. I purchased my first ticket at Termini in Rome. All other tickets (5 train trips) were purchased at a travel agency, one in Florence and one in Varenna . I guess I am suffering from CRS disease.

Posted by
934 posts

Steves states in his Italy book that many locals will sit in reserved seats and hope the persons who reserved them will say nothing. I had this experience when traveling with 6 family members. I just stated in a very loud voice,these are our seats please get out of them.It worked although my family looked shocked by my actions.

Posted by
7737 posts

There's no need to be loud if there's someone in your seat. Just show them your ticket and they'll move. Happy travels.

Posted by
32830 posts

Anybody see what some used to think of as Ugly American around here anywhere?

Posted by
4152 posts

Yes, there is no need to be loud or rude. Just ask them to move and show them your tickets. If they refuse to move get the conductor and he will have them move. I've never seen anyone refuse to move when confronted with someone holding a seat reservation. Donna

Posted by
934 posts

If you ask people to move they should move.I tried that very politely in a soft friendly voice and they completely ignored me.Then I spoke louder and more forcefully and they got up and moved.