Please sign in to post.

Train reservations

I'm going to be traveling around Italy for three weeks from mid-June to early July. I got a 6 day train pass, and I know I need to make train reservations also, but is it okay to wait until I get there to make them? The Rail Europe site is very expensive, and I'm hoping that as long as I make the reservations a few days in advance of when I want to travel, there will still be seats available. Is this usually the case, even in high season? Thanks for the help!

Posted by
32212 posts

Elizabeth, Yes, it's certainly acceptable to wait until you arrive in Italy to make the reservations. You shouldn't have any problems with these if you purchase several days prior to travel. Even if one train is fully booked, there will be another along in an hour or so. Happy travels!

Posted by
6898 posts

You don't need seat reservations on the Regionale trains as no seat reservations are permitted. It's like getting on the EL. Just get on and find a seat. If no seats, you can stand. There are overhead luggage racks for your luggage so it's not like the EL in that regard.

Posted by
396 posts

I always buy my tickets when I get to Italy. Have never had a problem....other posters are correct....if one IS full, there is another one along within the hour.
Also, an example from my trip in April....when I arrived by train in Verona for two days...I went right to the ticket window and bought my tickets for my next town, Lucca, for two days out...when i arrived in Lucca, I bought my tickets for the next town....etc. That way, I didn't have to stand in line the day I left or get to the stations early to check the schedules and find out when the trains were leaving....I just went right to the right track and waited for the train.