Please sign in to post.

Train reservations

When making on-line train reservations, how are people printing the paper ticket if they are staying in hotels? I am assuming those paper tickets still need to be validated at the station?

Posted by
4862 posts

We print ours before we leave home, but you could always ask the front desk to do it for you if they don't have a guest computer. They would likely charge a small fee.

And no, tickets printed on regular paper don't have to be validated. They don't fit in the machines.

Posted by
5687 posts

No need to print train tickets in Italy anymore if you have a tablet or smart phone (or even a laptop will do) that have the tickets stored on them. Tickets bought online don't have to be validated and are just scanned by a conductor. If you have a smart phone, you can buy Trenitalia tickets with the "Trenit" app, which is also very helpful for checking train platforms and delays, etc. on the fly.

For Italo tickets (competitor to Trenitalia) perhaps the Trainline EU app (I think there is one) might do the same thing, if you buy the tickets from trainline.eu or from their app.

Posted by
5697 posts

Just FYI -- don't worry about A4 paper, standard 8-1/2 x 11 paper works fine.

Posted by
32212 posts

jeff,

Only locally purchased Regionale tickets have to be validated at the station. Only the express trains (Freccia, Intercity) require compulsory reservations, and those will be provided with the tickets you buy. Note that the reservations are specific to train, date and departure time, so can only be used on the one train listed on the ticket. Tickets for express trains do not need to be validated.

If I'm going to pre-purchase train tickets, I often use the www.trainline.eu website or app, and print the tickets out before I leave home. Trainline sells tickets for both Trenitalia and Italo, so provides "one stop shopping".

Some hotels will provide printing services, for a charge of course. If you need to buy online tickets while in Italy, ask the desk staff at the hotel. You can also use E-tickets sent to a cell phone, but I don't tend to do that as I prefer to have something tangible in case of "technical issues".

Posted by
8889 posts

The reason you have to validate (timestamp) tickets is when tickets are valid on any train, it is to stop you using the same ticket more than once.
This is totally pointless for on-line tickets as these tickets already have a time and date on them, and you could print as many copies as you want.

Tickets are cheapes if bought months in advance, so buy and print out before you leave home.

Posted by
3112 posts

Some hotels have a computer and printer you can use to print tickets. Those that don't may print them free of charge if you first ask nicely and then send them to their e-mail address. I typically print tickets before leaving for my trip, but I've not been asked to pay when I occasionally need one printed while traveling.