Please sign in to post.

train reservations

I am going to be travelling by train a lot through italy in July and August. How far in advance do I need to buy tickets and make seat reservations and what is the best way (online, at the station, via phone once i'm there...)? Thanks!

Posted by
1449 posts

IMHO the best way is at the station using one of the automated machines. Select "english" and then it's a snap! I was in Italy last summer and traveled entirely by train, didn't have a problem. Just look at your ticket to see if you have an assigned car and seat or not; otherwise the people who do have the seat you're in may be asking you to move.

Posted by
23178 posts

If you are asking about routine, day trains, and on a rigid schedule. Buying tickets the day or two before via the ticket machines is the way to go. If you need specific schedule or overnight trains with sleepers, then use the internet to make your reservation.

Posted by
23178 posts

opps .. should be ... and NOT on a schedule

Posted by
1127 posts

I agree with other posts, just use the "Fast Ticket" machines at the stations a day or two in advance of the day you wish to travel. Tickets for overnight trains should be reserved in advance.