Please sign in to post.

Train questions

I have traveled all over Europe north of the Alps w/ a train pass and w/out a reservation but am daunted when it comes to Italy. I am torn btween pass w/reservations (1st class which also covers the Express from the Rome airport to Termini) or to just go with the flow and wait our turn in the ticket lines like everyone else. We (me, husband and stepdaughter) are doing Sorrento for 5 days and then back to Rome for the last 3. This is in mid-May. I should also mention my husband will be getting over a broken ankle. I am also curious what happens if I do make a reservation and we miss that particular train? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Posted by
32212 posts

Laura,

Given the small number of trips you'll be taking, I'd suggest forgetting the Railpass and just buying P-P tickets (which will include the reservation fees, if applicable). You might want to research the trips you'll be taking so that you'll have some idea which train you'll be using when you're purchasing tickets.

I wouldn't bother with first class tickets, unless you have a very generous travel budget. Second class seats on the EuroStar Italia / Alta Velocita from Rome to Naples would be perfectly adequate. In Naples you'll have to transfer to the Circumvesuviana for the trip to Sorrento.

The automated ticket Kiosks would be a good option. Check This Website for details on how these work.

On the subject of travelling with a Railpass and purchasing reservations as needed, it's IMPORTANT to ensure that you purchase the CORRECT reservation for the train you're on. If you have a reservation but it's not the CORRECT one for the train you're on (especially in Italy), you'll be fined on the spot and it's not cheap (trust me on that)!!! I recall a figure of about €40 but I'd have to check my records to be sure.

I'm not sure if Railpasses are valid on the Circumvesuviana? Hopefully someone else here has details on that.

Happy travels!

Posted by
223 posts

For myself, I would buy them on the fly to save some money. The tickets lines are no issue if you buy at any of the major terminals. The machines are very intuitive and many have English help. In some smaller towns, you may not find it as convenient so I will at times, pick up some of my smaller connecting tickets in the major stations. I think you can change the reservation but its a hassle and costs extra... Another good reason to buy at the station. You will be fine!

Posted by
1449 posts

There are indeed long lines at stations, but they are easy to avoid. Most of the stations have automated kiosks; if you can use an ATM you can use these. Certainly they do in Naples and Rome. Just press the British flag to get the english menu. However if you're flying into Rome there is usually a very short line at the window of the station to get tix for the Express to Termini, and you can buy other tickets then if you wish. You can price out passes vs tickets, but everyone who does concludes that point-to-point are a better deal.

Note that a pass can't help you with Sorrento. Trenitalia only runs down to Naples, you take an independent train line down to Sorrento.

Posted by
1018 posts

Forget the pass and buy point to point tickets. I always use the automated kiosks, which are simple and easy to use. If you travel on a EuroStar train you will need a seat reservation.

Buon viaggio,

RB

Posted by
4152 posts

If you buy your tickets at the train station the seat reservation will be included automatically. You can buy your tickets to Rome the first day in Sorrento if you get a chance at any travel agency displaying the trenitalia logo. There is no charge for this. If you make a reservation for a specific change and miss it you will have to pay a fee to have your tickets changed. The tickets are good for a specific train and a specific seat unless you ride the slower trains.

Donna