Please sign in to post.

Train question

Hi - After reading some posts, I had decided that for our trip (flying into Bologna and then taking a train to Rome) it may be best to wait until we arrive to purchase tickets as International flights could lead to delays.

However, I went to trenitalia's website and was not expecting the prices that I saw there and am now wondering if I should book in advance.

I then went to italotreno.it website and found much lower prices and am leaning towards purchasing from them.

My question is, if I choose the Flex option, that would allow me to change trains if needed if flights get in later correct? Are the Smart seats comfortable?

Our flight is scheduled to land at noon in Bologna. Being my first international flight I'm not sure of how long to expect to get out of airport. Any thoughts on times of trains I should be looking for?

Thanks !

Posted by
11613 posts

Can you spend that first night in Bologna? Then you could buy the low fare tickets for the next day.

Posted by
3256 posts

According to the Italotreno website, if you miss your train, you have 2 hours to get on the next one with a flex ticket. I've ridden on Tren Italia 2nd class and have been quite comfortable. I'm certain that you'll be more comfortable in a Smart seat than you were on your flight.

I don't know what your itinerary is but if you have the time, while in Bologna, spend a day to enjoy it. You're already there!

Posted by
1054 posts

Did Bologna last year for a couple days. As someone put above why not stay in Bologna a night. It has Italy's first and biggest university.

Posted by
3812 posts

Trenitalia's top on-day price, called BASE, from Bologna Centrale to Roma Termini is 61 € per person in 2nd class.
Italo's FLEX tickets cost 54.9 € per person. It doesn't seem such a big price difference.

I don't wan't to be rude, but do you realize that trenitalia.com shows the price per group and not per person, right?

Anyway, I don't understand why would you purchase in advance either a Flex or a Base ticket.
What's the point? Paying the same price you'd pay at the station but adding free worries if the flight is late or if there are delays at the airport? Note that both companies have some discounted tickets left on the most crowded trains leaving tomorrow morning. It's 21:26 now in Italy. I dare to say that you'll easily find tons of full price tickets at the counter.

Posted by
1241 posts

I agree with others, spend the night in Bologna if you can. It is more laid back and easy to get over jet lag. Also, the food is wonderful!