Please sign in to post.

Train query

Sorry if this question seems a bit of a repeat.
We are visiting Italy in October. Rome-Florence-Cinque-Venice-Como-Milan.
The tickets on Italia rail are already quite expensive (Rome-FLorene $42 per head). Is it prudent to book this far ahead.
Or should I book train tickets in the last minute...or even once we reach Italy ?

Posted by
4637 posts

Long distance trains are cheaper if you buy them ahead. Regional trains are the same price no matter when you buy them. So if you want to save, buy long distance train tickets as much ahead as you can. Of course you need to know for sure that you will go because the tickets are nonrefundable.

Posted by
16396 posts

romianeesh, just taking a quick glance at the Trenitalia website (Italy's national rail site; not ItaliaRail) I'm seeing economy tickets as low as 34,90 euro, 2nd class, for Frecciarossa trains from Roma Termini to Firenze S.M. Novella on Oct. 13. Now, you have to commit to your chosen trains if you buy economy tickets advance but it doing so may save you some $$.

Even better, I'm seeing this same journey for as low as 27,90 on Italo: a private rail line with competitive rates. Again these are economy-class tickets (they call them "comfort class") and you'd need to commit to your chosen trains.

I chose the 13th based on a schedule you'd posted previously.

Florence to the Cinque Terre (which village?) will be on regionale trains so no price advantage to buying in advance. Same for Varenna (if that's where you're staying) to Milan. Of the routes you have, Italo only runs the Rome>Florence route so check Trenitalia for everything else.

Posted by
1259 posts

Hi. For short routes like Florence to CT or Milan to Como, do not buy in advance. For main routes, only buy ahead if the discount is big enough to justify locking in your exact date and time. Use trenitalia.com to see all routes, or their smaller competitor Italo for some main routes. The 'base' price is what you will pay if you wait and buy at the last minute in Italy. For Rome to Florence, this is 47 Euro, and the capacity on this route is huge - multiple trains per hour. So for me, if the best you are finding is $42, I would wait and buy there to retain flexibility. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
20977 posts

Right now, Italia rail is quoting you Economy tickets, which are partially refundable before departure date. These cost 34.90 EUR at www.trenitalia.com, which is $40 US, So they are making a 5% markup which is not too bad, considering most credit cards charge 3 % for foreign currency transaction. If you wait until you reach Italy, you will pay 47 EUR for Base tickets (about $54 today).

Quite expensive? Not at all, considering Amtrak charges $107 for a discount seat on the Acela Express from NYC to Philly and it is a shorter distance than Rome to Florence and the train doesn't go as fast as a Freccia.

Florence to Cinque Terre can wait as it is by Regionale and the price is always the same.

Posted by
3256 posts

I just checked the prices and it's about $37 on TrenItalia and $31 on ItaloTreno. As a comparison, an Amtrak ticket from NYC to Providence RI is $112 on the Acela or $67 on a regional and the distance is just about the same. The trains in Italy are a bargain by comparison and they're much faster and more comfortable. Buying your tickets well in advance for high speed train service in Italy always saves money.

Posted by
64 posts

Thanks a lot for the replies....really appreciate the help.
I was actually thinking of tweaking my itinerary.
Now i am planning:
Rome - La spezia (and on to Vernazza) : there is a morning direct train.
La-spezia to Florence (late afternoon)
Florence to Venice: (mid morning)

Rest stay the same - venice to como (via milan) - and back to Milan to fly out.

This route seems cheaper (train ticket) wise...and less time intensive.
Comments please!

Posted by
1259 posts

Yes, your new itinerary makes more sense, avoids backtracking. Enjoy your trip!