Please sign in to post.

Train Pass or Individual tickets

I will be in Italy from April 1-18. I plan on travelling by train from Rome to Pompeii (Naples?), Rome to Venice, Venice to Florence, Florence to Pisa, and Florence to Rome. About 4-5 train trips.
Should I buy individual tickets or a monthly pass. How many trips do you get with a monthly pass? Thank you!
Diane

Posted by
3812 posts

Bear in mind that you get a pass for flexibility, not for savings.

More:

• No pass can be cheaper than point-to-point discounted tickets purchased months in advance
  • From Florence to Pisa you'll take A cheap Regionale train run by Trenitalia. Regionale trains have no reserved seats, can't sell out and offer no discounts. Just Like high speed trains, You can get a Regionale tickets 6 months or 16 minutes before the departure; but unlike high speed trains, on Regionale trains the prices and the T&Cs do not change
  • The Naples-Pompeii line is served by a local railway company called Circumvesuviana that does not accept any pass
  • There are 2 railway companies running high speed trains on the Venice-Florence-Rome-Naples line: trenitalia.com and italotrenl.it. Italotreno sells discounted tickets, too.
  • there is no Italian city called Florence in Italy. Or Naples. Official sites use Italian city names: Firenze, Napoli etc.