Please sign in to post.

Train or Car?

As a prelude to our RS "Village Italy Tour" in August, we're visiting Rome, Florence, Varenna, and Venice on our own. We don't want to drive in Rome or Florence. What would be the suggestions for travel (train or rental car) between: Florence and Varenna? Varenna and Venice? We have one day to get to Florence, two days there, and one day to get to Venice. Thanks!

Posted by
32212 posts

Art, I'd suggest using trains as that will be the quickest and most efficient travel method (especially as you're dealing with a limited time frame). If you were going to be meandering through the countryside a car would be more useful, but all of the places you're going are well served by public transit (and no worries about parking, tolls, high fuel prices, etc.). BTW, are you aware of the usual "issues" regarding driving in Italy? Here's a few comments on the places you mentioned: > Florence to Varenna - that the Freccia high speed trains from Florence to Milan and then Regionale to Varenna (DON'T FORGET to validate your ticket on the Regionale prior to boarding the train). The trip from Milan to Varenna is 1H:03M, and departures about every two hours. > Varenna to Venice - Again, take the Regionale to Milano Centrale and then high speed train to Venice. Note that your arrival station will be Venezia Santa Lucia. BTW, there's a great travel agency in Varenna (just down the hill from the station) that can provide train tickets if required. > Rome to Florence - rather than use the better part of a day for travel, again I'd suggest the Freccia trains. The trip is only ~1H:30M and the scenery through Tuscany is fantastic! I'd have a nice leisurely breakfast at the Hotel (you're paying for it) and then depart Rome at about 12:15. That will get you to Florence at 13:46, which is a good time for Hotel check-in. The EuroStar Italia / Alta Velocita / Freccia trains travel at about 200 MPH once they get going, so there's no way travelling by car will be as fast. You'll have a great time on that tour! Do you know yet who your Guide will be? Happy travels!

Posted by
16310 posts

And if you buy your tickets now, you can get some great mini fares on the Frecce trains But I don't see time for Varenna in your plan. Did you think of this as a stop on your way between Florence and Venice?that would make for a very long travel day.

Posted by
381 posts

Really tough decision. Florence to Varenna I would like to have a car. You are not going to drive in Veranna but if you want to visit other towns in the area a car is helpful. We were staying near Bellagio and loved driving to Lugano in Switz. and generally around the area. If you just want to stay in the towns and not travel than train is good. If you just want to stay in the heart of towns than the train is okay because the ferries work well. Just make sure you rent a car when you leave Florence, not while you are there. You can't drive in Florence too many restricted areas. Again, from Veranna to Venice I drove and preferred it. We dropped the car off at the Marco Polo Airport and took a water taxi. The water taxi is more expensive than other transportation but we had alot of luggauge and were getting in a little late so we thought it was worth it. The water taxi cost 110 Euros for two people. You can do the same trip for 26 euros but the water taxi dropped us off exactly where we were staying and it was worth it because of our luggauge and the late hour. Just realize driving and parking in Italy is a challange. I thought the Lake Como area was more challanging than the Amafi coast. It takes a day to get use to the driving but once use to it I like it. And, bring Coin Euros for parking they charge you everywhere. I might add we traveled this May and are there now. I heard the crowds are huge in August. Be prepared, no matter where you are in August it will be a mad house. Especially in Venice. I am so glad we went in May.

Posted by
10227 posts

I don't quite understand how much time you have in each place, but I think the train is better for your locations. We managed just fine in Varenna without a car. It is easy to take the ferry to other places on the lake. A car would be nice there primarily if you have a lot of time there and wanted to explore places further away.

Posted by
11294 posts

Ditto Andrea. Tom was talking about actually having time in each location to explore by car; you don't have this time, so you want to take the train. And, as Lola asked, when will you be seeing Varenna? If you're thinking of going just for an half-day or so, don't bother - it's a long detour for no purpose. The point of Varenna is to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere at the lake, take the ferry to other mid-lake towns, and (as Rick so accurately says), see how low you can get your blood pressure. If you're not going for at least 1-2 nights, skip it and put the time to Florence or Venice (each of which have plenty of ways to use that extra time).

Posted by
27 posts

Thanks everyone! I should have given more information about the length of stay. We have 2 1/2 days in Varenna - a little time to enjoy the lake as suggested and relax. Thank you.

Posted by
381 posts

Two days you should be able to see Veranna and a few towns. But understand there is quite a bit of travel time involved. Trains, buses and ferries do eat up a lot of those two days. But the area is spectacular.

Posted by
951 posts

You couldn't pay me to drive in Italy.......well I guess I would if the paycheck was handsome enough. But really, crazy drivers, small alley that for some reason is bi-directional and your car doesn't really fit, zones that charge you if you enter them that maybe aren't really marked well, charges to park car overnight, I could go on and on but I think you get my gist.

Posted by
10227 posts

With 2 1/2 days in Varenna I would not bother with a car. Take the ferry to other places on the lake and enjoy Varenna itself. If you are looking for something fun to do in Varenna you might want to consider taking a cooking class at Il Caminetto. It was one of the highlights of our 3 week trip to Italy. If you are interested be sure to book ahead. The classes fill up fast.