Please sign in to post.

Train luggage

My wife and I are going to Italy for the first time in October (Venice, Florence, day trips to Siena/San Gimigniano and the Val d'Orcia, Cinque Terre, and Rome). I know that a carry on is recommended, and we did buy carry ons to make it happen, but the truth is, that's much easier when you have small clothes. I'm a former football player and my clothes are big. That makes it much more difficult to shove enough clothes into a carry on. Also, we want to bring back souvenirs, and even though most will be small, they add up.

We also bought 25" luggage that's actually lighter than our carry on luggage. And I don't mind checking my luggage if need be. The only thing I'm worried about with the size of the luggage is on the trains. I don't like the ideal of putting my luggage at the end of the car. I'd rather have it with me. We are traveling first class on Trenatalia from Venice to Florence, and Cinque Terre to Rome, through La Spezia. My question is (finally), will 25" luggage fit above in the rack in those trains, or am I just going to have to suck it up and make the carry ons work? Thanks in advance.

Posted by
23177 posts

Probably not. Most overhead, some are larger, will easily handle a big carry on but 25" is pushing it. Big issue is that it could fall off on you or someone else. For years we have thrown luggage into the luggage bins, mostly in second class, with no problems so I don't worry about. In first class there will be far fewer people so you will find it easier to find room for your luggage. And the luggage bins in first class will be nearly empty.

Posted by
32171 posts

Chris,

I haven't yet achieved the "holy grail" of carry-on only, and frankly I'm not too concerned about it. I always check one bag on flights, and so far that hasn't been a problem.

Carrying luggage on trains isn't really a problem. If the coach isn't packed full (which may be the case in first class), it's often possible to keep larger items with you, either sitting on the floor or in the "A" between seat backs. If the train has compartments, the overhead racks in those are often a bit larger, so luggage can usually be placed there. As a former football player, I'm sure you won't have any difficulty placing heavy bags there. The overhead racks in the open cars usually have more of a vertical limitation.

You may find the "Luggage on trains" section on this website helpful..... http://seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm#.V7Sy7I4x_9I

I'm also somewhat reluctant to place my Pack on the luggage racks (especially if I'm seated in such a way that I can't keep an eye on it), after an experience last year. Several stops after I had boarded, some moronic boob removed several items of luggage from the rack so he could place his bicycle there, and just turfed the luggage into the foyer where people were boarding and disembarking. It would have been very easy for someone to kick my pack onto the platform, never to be seen again. Fortunately I noticed it in time, and moved my pack to the area between the seat backs.

Posted by
5187 posts

Chris,
I doubt your 25" luggage will fit on the overhead racks on the trains, however, you may be able to place them in the 'A' shaped space between the back of the seats (available on some trains).

If a carry on size does my work for you, I would not stress about placing luggage at the ends of the cars. You can always place them on the middle, or top racks (at the end of car), where you can easily see them from your seat.

You may find this website helpful: http://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm#Luggage_on_Italian_trains

Posted by
15679 posts

Chris, I see the issue with your big-fella clothing being too much for a carry-on!

Don't worry about using the luggage racks on the trains, OK? That's what they're for and, as noted, if you're traveling first class, you'll more likely than not have a half-empty carriage.

If it's really going to drive you batty, stay with your bag until the doors close or buy a retractable luggage cable at the nearest travel or luggage shop; you can cable a handle to the rack. The only caution is to have it unhooked and ready to go before the train stops so you are ready to jump.

I sort of doubt you're traveling first class from Florence to the CT, and your train from the CT (which village?) to a change in La Spezia will in likelihood be a regional (and a very short trip.)

Posted by
19644 posts

Traveled all over Germany last year with a 25x18x12 in all kinds of trains from ICE to Toonerville trolleys. No problem, including one day with 8 connections. The last leg we had to buy another 28x20x14 to carry the Black Forest souvenirs, Nothing to stress about. If you can lift it up and down stairs, you're fine.

Posted by
224 posts

Hi Chris,
My husband and I are not on the carryon bandwagon either and have been all over Europe 14 countries and counting - trains, walking for blocks and blocks, walking with them on cobblestone, walking lost for miles in the rain - you name it - with 24 inch rollers , carryon plopped on top and I have a purse and my husband has a daypack (I'm not a former football player with big clothes, I'm a tiny Texas woman who loves her beauty products and my husband is a chronic overpacker). I don't think you'll be able to fit your roller on the overhead spot what we do is get a cable loop lock and put it around both of our bags and if possible a luggage rack pole if not just loop the bags together, no one is going to run off with two bags attached to each other - way too cumbersome.

Happy travels and here's and article to make you laugh
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thrillist/just-check-your-damn-bag_b_9112074.html

Posted by
702 posts

For those souvenirs, you could get a folding duffel bag. I bought one specifically for that a couple of years ago. It folds into itself and is quite small until you need it then it unfolds into a nice sized duffel bag, which becomes my Carry On for the plane ride home. Have a great trip!

Posted by
752 posts

Well I dunno, light is light, Rick Steves' advice to travel light applies to everyone, even big guy football players. Rick is a big guy and he has some good online videos showing how he travels light without sucking anything up. You can do it too! You have time to make the change!

First class cars will offer more space for you and your luggage, but there are other considerations too. Now is the time for you to make changes so that you will have easy control over your bags just like you're on the field! That football doesn't weigh much, enabling great mobility on the field! I say you can have the same feeling while traveling!

I say this because I worry about the long narrow-stepped stairways leading up to and down from First Class cars. The steps may accommodate only the toes of a woman's shoe, or half of her foot sideways! The easiest and fastest ascent is done by young gals with one light carry on and young guys with duffel bags that land on the overhead bins before they sit down! If you as a big guy also has to balance a big bag and your carry-on bag going up and down those stairways -- the only way I've seen that work is guys who put their wife at the top of the stairs while they lay the big bag flat on the stairway and push it all the way up to her, she then has to bend down and pull the big case up into the car. It's not easy for them and it shows, they have to fight a big heavy bag trying to drag them back down the stairs! Getting off the train, roles are reversed and I've seen those bags catch the wife in the leg or roll over her foot! Not fun and very tiring!

Depending on where else you go in Italy, be mindful that many train stations have No elevators and No escalators, or existing lifts may be broken, either way forcing you to heave your big heavy bag up and down grand stairways! LOL! Italy loves its stairways!

There are many websites selling lightweight travel clothes. Start looking and learning now! You'll be glad that you did!

Posted by
15679 posts

LGATX, we travel with flight-checked, 24" rolling bags too, and have walked them at least a mile to some of our accommodations, on and off trains, up and down stairs... They aren't overloaded by any means but not carry-on size either. And I'm a titch over 60 and a titch under 5'2".

Honestly, if ex-football player Chris can manage a larger bag and his wife can handle hers by herself (that's key), I don't see the issue. The only tourists I see who shouldn't have the size or amount of luggage they do are the people who very obviously can't manage it by themselves.

Posted by
111 posts

In addition to all the other bits of information, I feel compelled to list two more: 1) if anyone at a train station offers to help you put your bags on the train, or up in the overhead, know that they expect a large tip and often make a scene if you don't tip what they want. So, always take care of your own bags, and 2) always keep them in sight. After traveling miles on trains in Italy, last year my 21" was stolen off the train in Lucca -- in a matter of 1 minute, someone had grabbed it and disappeared into the station. That has only happened once to us, but that was enough to NEVER let my luggage out of my sight. Have a great trip -- Italy is fabulous, and I doubt this will be your last trip there!

Posted by
752 posts

Wow! They just grabbed the whole bag off the train and vanished into the station! Wow! The nearest I came to this was when a group of us gals got off the train at SMN Firenze. It happened so fast.

Only one of us had too much luggage she could not manage, too big a bag, too heavy, a well-dressed man came up to help, and took all her money, all credit and debit cards, she had literally no money, we all had to support her till she made other arrangements. No one saw a thing and we were all there!

I take only a carryon weighing under 15 pounds and I always travel First class on trains even on Regionale if they have it. The one time on a Regionale in the Ancona station, when a Gypsy man stalked me and thought he had me trapped, the conductor came into the car and announced that all First Class tickets had to follow her to a different car, well there was nothing he could do, the First class car got full toward Rome, but I got to keep my luggage with me, I always enjoy the love on First class, the best guys in the world there!

Posted by
15679 posts

"... a well-dressed man came up to help, and took all her money, all credit and debit cards.."

That was too bad for your friend but I have to ask, why were her valuables so easily accessible to light fingers in the first place? Those items should not have been in a carry-on, a purse, a pocket, etc., or altogether in one place. Without starting that whole been-done-1000-times discussion again (there's already a too-lengthy thread going on that subject) there are umpty ways to keep the goodies safe and sound.

We've never traveled first class on Italian trains and haven't had any incidents. I would guess this is the case for most travelers but as covered above, larger bags can usually be kept near you or can be cabled to a rack, if you're nervous about them. I think we all agree that it's important that you can manage them yourself, though: the struggling tourist is the one who may call unwanted attention and 'help.'

Posted by
752 posts

A case of mistaken identity, another group already there was coming up to meet us, it won't happen again, we've taken steps to avoid that, and, she thought she had time to ready her security, I live in Chicago and know I don't have time, I put all the armor on in my apartment before I leave for the day!

Posted by
49 posts

I think I'm leaning to taking the 25" luggage because my wife is very worried about us not having enough space for everything. The only thing I was worried about was if they would be safe on the train, but then I was thinking that nobody can run off with them before the train stops so I will just get up as the train is pulling into the stop and walk to where the luggage is. If there's a thief in Italy that can run faster than a football player, then they deserve what they can get!!!

One more related question, though. What about the 25" luggage on the regional train from Monterosso to La Spezia? Is it the same setup- 25" luggage gets set down at the end of the car you are in?

Posted by
8889 posts

Chris, you said "I will just get up as the train is pulling into the stop and walk to where the luggage is"
The problem with that is the train will make intermediate stops, especially the Regional trains. If you get up at every stop and stand in front of the luggage racks you will block people getting on and off and be unpopular.
If your case doesn't fit on the racks I would look for the A-shaped space between seat backs (click for photo). Nobody can get cases out of this space without you seeing.

The luggage racks at the end of each coach are usually on long distance trains only. Local (Regional) trains have fewer travellers with luggage and usually only have the overhead racks, plus some A-shaped space between the set backs.

The Seat 61 link that Priscilla posted is good: http://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm#Luggage_on_Italian_trains
and also some more general info: http://seat61.com/luggage-on-european-trains.htm
This has some photos which might help visualise the size. I have no idea how big 25" is, so I can't comment on that. I only work in cm! The overhead racks are usually larger than on aircraft, and because they don't have doors, that allows more space.

Posted by
49 posts

Thanks. Those are really helpful articles and everybody on this forum has been very helpful. I'm going on Trenitalia from Venice to Florence and La Spezia to Rome. I didn't know that there were stops on those routes between the two main destinations so that's why I said I would just get up quickly when we pulled into the final destination. But according to those articles there's not as much to worry about as I thought. 25 inches is 63.5 cm, by the way.

Posted by
8889 posts

Chris, Some examples. Venice to Florence. Trains stops additionally at, Venezia Mestre, Padova and Bologna,. Times are arrival and departure, so you can see how much time you (haven't) got at each stop. Train ES 9415:

Venezia Santa Lucia 09:25
Venezia Mestre 09:37
Padova 09:51 09:53
Bologna Centrale 10:50 10:53
Firenze S.M.N. 11:30 11:38

The train then continues to Rome.
And La Spezia to Rome Train starts from Ventimiglia and has 12 stops between there and La Spezia. Train IC 35505:

La Spezia Centrale 10:04 10:06
Massa Centro 10:26 10:28
Viareggio 10:39 10:41
Pisa Centrale 10:56 11:06
Livorno Centrale 11:19 11:21
Cecina 11:42 11:44
Follonica 12:05 12:07
Grosseto 12:28 12:30
Civitavecchia 13:21 13:23
Roma Ostiense 14:20
Roma Termini 14:33

You can look up the trains and stops on the Italian Railways site: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Posted by
49 posts

I'm hoping that since I'm in first class in October they'll be enough room to stash my luggage near me.

Posted by
69 posts

Chris. I hear your concerns. We are travelling to Italy and taking trains from the airport to eventually end up in Cortona (I hope.lol). We have never travelled with our luggage on the trains. We are baby boomers, my husband is a tall, big guy possibly like yourself. I'm tall as well. We need to have probably one larger suitcase for our clothing, essentials, etc. plus a carryon for our personal items that we don't want to check at the airport, such as tablet, camera, important stuff.

I am also concerned about what luggage to use. Maybe one suitcase (the type RS sells on this website?) plus just one carryon plus I will have my purse which I always hang over my shoulder across my chest. I hope this would work. I NEVER take my purse off my shoulder.

Posted by
752 posts

I still don't get what tall and big has to do with it! Rick Steves is tall and big and he travels light! Watch his videos on how to do this!

There was a time when i overpacked, and then one day i got sick on a hot bus in Rome! Next day i had to fly out and when airline security saw that i couldn't drag my luggage, they refused to let me board, and i refused their ambulance, they relented, but monitored me to the States, and stored my luggage for me.

I learned to pack for those times when something happens, when i need lightweight luggage i can move when i'm not doing well! Traveling light is a glorious feeling!

Posted by
49 posts

Rick is maybe 6'0" and 180 pounds at most. That's hardly big.

Posted by
15679 posts

I'd agree, Chris: 6' and 180 isn't big-or-tall by any means. Definitely not what I think of as 'football player' size. I've been seatmates with a couple of fellas WELL over 6' and well over 200 pounds with shoulders from here to there, I swear. They weren't really overweight, just really darn BIG. I felt bad for them trying to squish into a coach seat but not everyone can afford upgrades.

We cheerfully made the best of sharing limited space as it wasn't their fault that they were blessed with an overabundance of size that I wasn't! :O)

Posted by
824 posts

Chris,

I've been on both regional and fast (freccia-) trains from Venice to Rome and points in between several times and I would strongly recommend a carry-on sized suitcase. The regional trains can be even more bothersome... I have seen train conductors chastise travelers for trying to put 15-18 inch wide cases on the overhead shelf.

I am now on the carry-on bandwagon for leisure travel but what makes it work for me is that we stay in vacation apartments. We always rent apartments with a clothes washer so we can really cut back on the amount of cloths we have to carry. It's easy to do a load or two of laundry in the evening and, even with drying racks, have it dry when needed.

Posted by
49 posts

I'm convincing my wife to go with the carry on. I'm thinking we each have a carry on, plus each have a flight bag where I can put some overflow. We will also have a day bag that rolls up into nothing so that is going got be our carry-on on the way back (filled with souvenirs), plus we will take our flight bags onto the plane again, and then check our bigger carry on bags because I don't care if they are checked on the way back. That's the plan anyway.