Please sign in to post.

Train in Italy

Hello My husband and I are traveling from Venice to Rome and then Rome to Milan by train in May. Should I purchase my tickets in advance on the Trenitalia website--or is it just as easy to get them in Italy? Thanks
Terri

Posted by
265 posts

If you have firm set dates for your travel buy them on Trenitalia and save a lot of money. They can be so cheap that even if you have to change plans later it is not a huge dollar loss. There have been super economy tickets for these trips for as little as 9 euro each. A great deal and a great scenic ride. Buy them as soon as your dates of travel become available for the best price. Check out the Ron In Rome web site for how to buy Trenitalia tickets on line. I read it and getting my tickets was a breeze.

Posted by
6898 posts

If you are willing to lock in specific travel dates and times and, you are willing to accept non-refundable and non-exchangable tickets, you can buy tickets for these runs up to 119 days out from the time of travel. The 9Euro fares are hard to get for these runs but the 19Euros can be obtained if you buy early. If you wait until you get to Italy, you can still get the tickets quite easily but, you will pay the full standard fares which are Venice/Rome 80Euro and Rome/Milan 86Euro. Plus, Trenitalia has new fare categories on certain runs - Standard (2nd class), Premium, 3 different business classes and Executive. The fares increase as you move up in fare category. The fare for the Executive category is 200Euro. The Rome/Milan runs have these new categories and when I look at tomorrow, I see the standard 86Euro but if that category sells out, the next category, which is premium, is 100Euro. Yes, there will be seats on the train but it looks like Trenitalia has learned how to charge more them as the lower categories sell out. This is what the budget airlines do. The message here is that it may now be much more expensive to ride the Frecciarossa train if you wait until the day of travel. By early online. If you want maximum flexibility, you can still pay the Standard fare and not the Economy or Super Economy fares.