Please sign in to post.

Train in Italy

I want to take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome Termini Station after disembarking from cruise ship. In order to get a good rate do I need to book in advance or can I get a ticket at the train station on the same day of travel for the same price as booking in advance? The challenge of booking in advance is that I'm not sure the exact time our group of four will be getting off the ship.

Posted by
6898 posts

By chance, might you be in another Italian port or city before arriving at Civitavecchia (i.e. Livorno or Venice)? If yes, you can buy a Regionale ticket there. Regionale tickets are good for 60 days. They do not have a specific train or departure time on them. They're good on any Regionale train making the run printed on the ticket. If you can do this, just head for the train platform, validate your ticket and get on the next Regionale train. Make sure it's not an InterCity or high-speed train where seat reservations will be required. Note that once you validate the ticket, it's good for 6hrs.

Posted by
7737 posts

RonInRome.com lays out all the steps you need to take to get from a cruise ship into Rome, and vice versa. Look under "Postings".

Posted by
23290 posts

It is a commuter run to Rome. Most of the trains are regional trains which means no reservations and no discounts and that is the train you want since you cannot predicate when you will be there. It is only 4 or 5 E for the tickets. Second, ABSOLUTELY BUY your ticket at any train station that you see anywhere in Italy before you get to Civit... Buy regional train tickets. It will be an absolutely zoo at the ticket office to buy tickets to Rome especially if more than one cruise ship is in port. If you flew into Rome earlier then buy at the airport or Termini when you get a chance. Do not wait till Civit... The cruise ship shuttle will dump you at the main entrance to the port. It will be zoo of taxis, private cars, vans, etc. You cannot get a taxi to the train station because they want the big fare to Rome or the airport. The station is about a half mile straight ahead, along the beach and on your left. Cannot miss it. Just follow the stream of people headed that way. Once at the station check the board for the R trains - about three an hour so wait should not be too bad. Walk through the station or around the station and see the little yellow box on the track side or back side of the station. VALIDATE YOUR TICKETS (time stamp) in the yellow box and head to the platform for the next R train to Rome. Failure to validate has very unpleasant consequences. Most likely there will be a mob of people on the platform waiting. Just be sure you are on an R train, there are a few IC and high speed on that route. Don't get on the wrong type of train. Grab an open seat. Only once we had to stand about half the way to Rome before a seat opened. We have made that run six times. RoninRome.com has a whole section on getting to and from Civit.

Posted by
32213 posts

Russ, Here's a link to the website that Michael mentioned.... Transportation into Rome Happy travels!

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks to all that replied. Very helpful. We will start our cruise in Venice so we should be able to buy the ticket there before we leave. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Posted by
23290 posts

Venice is a good station. Right on the Grand canal so step in and buy some tickets. Should be able to use the auto ticket machines.