Please sign in to post.

Train from Vernazza to Pisa Airport

Got the flight booked for our two week trip to Italy and England (seeing our son in England).

I’m trying to arrange transportation from Vernazza to Stansted in October and saw that the trains from Vernazza to the Pisa Airport require two transfers. The connections seem tight.

Am I doing this right? If I miss the second or third leg, can I hop on the next train or people mover? I’m looking at the 3:05pm flight out and the train that leaves Vernazza at 0946 on October 21st. I can’t book anything else until I know I can get to Stansted on that date and don’t want the later flight, or the 6am one.

Thanks!

Posted by
2449 posts

None of the trains involved would require reserving in advance, and none sell out. So yes, you would arrive at La Spezia, take the next available train to Pisa Centrale, then the next available to Pisa Aeroporto. Just be sure to validate each ticket shortly before getting on board.

Posted by
20103 posts

Problem is that Italian regional schedules often have a gap in the schedule close to noon, so if you were to miss your connection in La Spezia (you do have 18 minutes), it is 2 hours to the next train to Pisa and then you would be tight at the airport with less than 1 1/2 hours to make your flight. Why not take the 8:51 train from Vernazza, then you would have a back up if you missed that connection, which is short. Worst case, you have to cool your heels in La Spezia Centrale for an hour, but still get to the airport by noon.

Posted by
25 posts

Yes, I agree it’s safer to take the 8am train from Vernazza. So is everyone saying I don’t need to book any of these trains ahead of time?

Another question: we will be training from Florence to Vernazza earlier in the week, but would love to stop off on the way for a quick visit to maybe Lucca or some other town. Hope to do a day trip to San G and Volterra while we are in Florence. Should I reserve those trains ahead of time? Or just wing it?
Thanks!

Posted by
3812 posts

I don’t need to book any of these trains ahead of time?

They are saying You can't book any Regional train ahead of time, because there are no reserved seats on Regional trains. You are just paying in advance and saving some time at the station.

Tickets of Regional trains purchased on line can be used on the selected one and on the next Regional making the same route. So even tight connections are not actually tight, but nothing prohibits you from making 2 separate purchases if you prefer.