Please sign in to post.

Train from Varenna to Vernazza

This our First trip to Italy, & so first time taking the train there. We are not train savvy as we do not live in a big city. I see Varenna has no ticket booth. We will be traveling Varenna to Vernazza Sept. 19th( hopefully betw. 9-10 am) Would it be smart to purchase our tickets now on the trenitalia website so we have seats reserved for the longer route from Milan. I punched in date & time. It looks like 10:37 out of Varenna gets us into Vernazza 3:26. I realize the first & last train are " regionale". But I swear the Milan to Sestri Levante said " inner city" . Just want to make sure before I purchase. And I am assuming I print off the voucher at home . And then maybe scan it there to receive an actual ticket? Sorry prob. Dumb questions.
Thanks for any help & clarification-Joan

Posted by
19649 posts

Not a dumb question at all, but a very practical one. It looks like you could buy the whole itinerary today, saving a whole 4.50 euro. How are you getting to Varenna? You could buy the ticket at another Italian train station before hand. You could also buy at the Varenna travel agent I hear tell about.

Posted by
16893 posts

I would not be very worried about the train filling up, but it still makes sense to buy tickets a few days ahead, if that makes you more comfortable. Inter City train tickets are sold with reservations and "ticketless" versions sold online don't require any exchange in the station. Regional tickets sold online will also lock you into a travel date (while those sold in person need to be date-stamped in a machine before boarding the train). The Varenna travel agency is very helpful, just downhill from the train station and marked on Rick's maps, closed Sundays. There is also a travel agency inside Milano Centrale station (p. 326 of RS Italy), which may be easier for you than the official ticket windows with lines or the ticket machines.

Posted by
32171 posts

jbyers,

That's actually a very straight forward trip. A few thoughts.....

The 10:37 departure that you listed is one of the fastest with the fewest changes, so that's the one I'd use. However, the change in Sestri Levante is only 8 minutes, so don't stop for coffee! Regarding tickets, there are a few methods you could consider......

1. Pre-purchase tickets online - This is certainly one option, and will probably save a few bucks on the InterCity train if you buy far enough ahead of the trip. However as two of the trains on that route are Regionale, I'm not sure whether you'll have to pick those up from a Kiosk in Italy, or whether they will be "pre-validated" for a specific train. There will be no price breaks for the Regionale tickets, regardless of whether you purchase them online or at the station.
  2. Purchase tickets when you arrive in Italy, a few days before your rail trips - You have a couple of options there. You can either purchase all the tickets before you go to Varenna, and that way the entire trip will all be sorted. You could also buy your tickets TO Varenna in Milan when you transit there, and buy your tickets from Varenna to Vernazza at the helpful Tivano Tours office in Varenna (just below the station). I usually buy tickets at the Kiosks as they're very easy to use, although every so often I encounter one that's a bit "problematic" (easily solved by using another Kiosk). The other reason I use Kiosks as much as possible is that there are usually HUGE queues at the staffed ticket office in larger stations such as Milano Centrale.

I normally just buy tickets when in Italy, although that approach costs a bit more as the "premium" trains such as the Freccia and InterCity will be at full price (Base Fare).

A couple of other things to mention in case you aren't aware of them. Your ticket for the InterCity train from Milano to Sestri Levante will be specific to one train, date and departure time, and you can ONLY use the one train specified on the ticket. If you use any other train, you'll be subject to hefty fines which will be collected on the spot!

On the Regionale trains, tickets MUST be validated in the small yellow or green/gray track side machines prior to boarding the train on the day of travel. Failure to do so will again result in hefty fines collected on the spot! DON'T validate them the day before actually using the train as they have a "shelf life" (about 4-6 hours depending on the route) once validated, so will have expired by the time you use them (again, hefty fines!). Regionale tickets are not specific to any particular train, date or departure time so can be used on any Regionale departure on the route that was purchased within a specific number of days (I can't remember the exact number of days that tickets can be used).

You may find it helpful to have a look at the excellent Ron In Rome website as there's lots of good information on train travel in Italy (and other things). Scroll down about halfway to see a photo of the yellow validation machines.

One final point to mention is that tickets for Buses, Metro etc. in Rome and other parts of Italy also must be validated prior to use (failure to do so - you guessed it, hefty fines).

Buon Viaggio!

Posted by
26 posts

Thanks for the tips Sam , Laura & Ken. Sam we are driving from Venice to the Dolomites & dropping the car off in Como. so if we have time in Como I can try the ticket purchase while waiting for train to Varenna. If not or if I'm confused then I have the travel agent in Varenna ( that sounds like the safer option) thanks Laura. And Ken thanks for the Ron in Rome tip. I will study his info tonight. All very helpful . Appreciate it.
Joan

Posted by
32171 posts

joan,

The easiest way to Varenna is to use the direct train from Milano Centrale. Travel from Como to Varenna is somewhat of a convoluted journey. You might find it easier to drop the car in Milan, somewhere close to the station. I'm not sure if there are any ZTL areas in that vicinity, but hopefully Roberto or one of the others can provide that information.

As you're coming from the Dolomites, you could also drop the car in Verona and take the train from there. There are numerous FrecciaBianca trains from there to Milano Centrale, with a travel time of 1H:23M.

Posted by
26 posts

WOW Ken. Good catch. This just proves how much I have to learn about train travel!! We had planned on taking the longer but scenic drive(S38) from the Dolomites to Varenna since we enjoy the mountains & small towns as opposed to the autostrada. But because my car rental could not be returned in Varenna I chose Como train station thinking it would keep us out of the traffic in Milan. We will research another place to drop off a Hertz car rental closer to Varenna or at least a more direct train ride .OR possibly catch the hydrofoil from Como to Varenna. It looks like it is about 13 euro & an hr. ride. Thanks for the heads up, I would have been really disappointed when I found out what a waste of time I had created. Our current drop off is "Como FF SS Railway Station". RS book says train station to dock for hydrofoil is about a 10 min. walk. Not sure if this is the SAME train station he is referring to??

Posted by
32171 posts

Joan,

The closest location to Varenna to return a car is probably Milan (although I'm not sure where the Hertz locations are). A smaller city such as Verona would be easier, but if you want to drive to Como that's also an option.

The "Como FF SS Railway station" appears to be P.Le San Gottardo station. I haven't checked the RS book, but that doesn't appear to be close to the docks. You'd probably have to take a Taxi.

Another point to keep in mind is that not all the boats between Como and Varenna are fast boats, so you'd have to time your arrival by car to connect with one of the Hydrofoils. Using one of the slower boats will add considerably to your travel time.

The bottom line - travel by train from Milano Centrale to Varenna will likely be quicker and easier, but it's your trip and your choice. Hopefully one of the others will chime in, as they may have other suggestions.

Cheers!