Please sign in to post.

Train from Tuscany to Rome?

Hi there! My family and I will be staying at the HILTON GRAND VACATIONS CLUB AT BORGO ALLE VIGNE, Selvatelle, Terriccciola,Italy, and plan to travel to Rome by train for a few days. This is our first visit to Europe and we are not familiar with the train stations. Can anyone recommend the closest train station from our Hilton location? Thank you!!

Posted by
4384 posts

There is no train station in this village--have you determined how you will arrive there?
The closest train station is in Pontedera. You will need to do an internet search for bus schedules.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you! We will have a driver taking us to he nearest train station and our own car during our stay in Tuscany.

Posted by
5581 posts

I have not been to Italy, but I'm going soon. In my research, it seemed that buses in Tuscany can be a great and sometimes better alternative to the train. My recollection is sometimes the bus stations are more central than the train stations. I will be using a bus to get from Florence to Siena and then to Rome. I also think you could contact the Hilton for help. They probably have a prewritten set of instructions to get you to Rome.

Posted by
4384 posts

If you have a car, then you simply need to look at google maps and determine the best place to park a car, but agree the hotel can advise. I would also look at the trenitalia schedule so you know the optimal schedule.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the replies. I have inquired with the hotel and they provided me with 2 different locations...Was hoping to narrow it down to the closest and easiest.

Posted by
4384 posts

Then you have two good options!
If you just want some personal opinions, it would be good to share the suggestions the hotel offered.

Posted by
3812 posts

they provided me with 2 different locations

Well done, all you have to do now is putting both in the "From" field on trenitalia.com, a day of travel before December 8, hit the search button and see which one has the best service to Rome.

Posted by
16893 posts

Pontedera-Casciana Terme is on the east-west rail line between Florence and Pisa. The fastest connections from there change trains at Florence and take 3 hours. Or, you can choose a route with a transfer at Pisa and travel closer to the coast with about the same timing, but fewer departures per day. You could also catch the same train (and avoid a connection) at Pisa Centrale, Livorno Centrale, or Cecina stations. Pisa and Livorno are pretty big cities to drive into, with lots of traffic, so I don't recommend those. Cecina is the same station that people use to/from Volterra.