Please sign in to post.

Train from Rome to Venice

We are extending our upcoming Heart of Italy tour in Oct. to include Venice. We'd like to take a train from Rome to Venice following the conclusion of our tour on Sunday, Oct. 18th but aren't exactly sure which train line we should be looking for. Maybe I'm not understanding the system, but it looks like there's more than one option.

Posted by
3313 posts

There are plenty of trains. Your variables are how fast you want to travel and which class. Just buy the tickets when it is convenient for you in Rome - including when you're ready to leave.

Posted by
23296 posts

There is only one train line or company or whatever between Venice and Rome. However, there will be a number of different routes involving train changes in different cities.

Posted by
255 posts

Recommend Eurostar. Fast and comfortable. On 18 October, the Trenitalia website shows departures from Termini rail station in Rome at 0950, 1050, 1250, and 1350. Looks like the trains go straight through to Santa Lucia in Venice without any train changes. Prices are 2nd class for approximately 62 euros per person one way and first class for approximately 90 euros per person one way. I believe this includes the mandatory reservation fee for Eurostar travel. Travel time is about 4.5 hours. Hope this helps.

Posted by
277 posts

You are in for a breathtaking treat. Once you arrive and depart the terminus, you will walk onto the Grand Canal. You mouth will drop open. It is that wonderful to see.

Posted by
54 posts

Hi Cindy,
My partner and I took the train from Rome to Venice and as the others have said, book the Eurostar. Comfortable and a nice journey. Also, I'm envious of the sight you'll see from the train station when you arrive. The first look at Venice from that vantage point is one that will be with me forever. Words cannot describe how breathtaking it is. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
4 posts

Now I'm even more excited. Sounds like the Eurostar is the way to go! Thanks for the advice and comments on the view!

Posted by
1170 posts

There are many daily trains to and from Venice all operated by Trenitalia. You will want to take the Eurostar (ES or ES*A) because it will be the fastest and have fewer stops along the way...

Roma Termini,
Firenze S. M. Novella,

Bologna Centrale,

Ferrara,

Rovigo,

Padova,

Ve. Mestre,

Venezia S. L.

Pay a little more and get the 1st class seats. You will be more comfortable.

Posted by
32213 posts

Cindy,

As the others have indicated, the EuroStar Italia / Alta Velocita is the best method to get from Rome to Venice. Have a look at the Trenitalia or bahn.de websites for the travel times (as I recall, the trip is 3-4 hours).

You'll be departing from Roma Termini and arriving at Venezia Santa Lucia (note that there's also Mestre station in Venice, but that's NOT the one you need).

As someone else mentioned, when you walk through the front doors and down the steps of the station, you'll be right at the Grand Canal. You might want to check the Italy Guidebook for information on the best Vaporetto to take to your Hotel.

You'll probably have some spare time on the day prior to the end of your tour (just before the farewell dinner) to go to Termini to arrange your tickets. You can buy these either at the ticket booths or from automated ticket machines. Check the roninrome.com website for some tips on how to use the machines.

Happy travels!