Please sign in to post.

Train from Rome to Venice

When we select our seats, which side of the train would have the best views or would it make any difference?

Posted by
1175 posts

Does the train from Roma Termini to Venezia Santa Lucia go through Firenza? I thought it was a nonstop high speed Frecciarossa?

Posted by
3112 posts

I've never taken a train to Venice that didn't stop in at least Firenze and Bologna, but schedules do change.

Posted by
2829 posts

No difference. The line is mostly high-speed, you will only see a blur.

Posted by
4152 posts

I agree, no difference. I found the scenery very dull. Use the time to catch up on a nap or to go over your travel plans. Donna

Posted by
3112 posts

Rome and Florence are in and out stations (as opposed to thru stations), so the direction the train travels reverses at those stations. There's no way to be certain on which side you'll be seated for each of the 2 legs of the trip. My only preference is for the left side in the morning and the right side in the afternoon to avoid the sun. Otherwise, you'll put the shade down and won't see much scenery.

Posted by
864 posts

We always take a picnic lunch and enjoy the train ride. The view is interesting if you've never done this route but no one (I think) can call it great. The train will stop briefly in say Firenze and maybe one other place (Venice mainland and then Venice on the water with the wonderful food and scenery and romance and lighting and....oops, sorry - love Venice :)

Posted by
6898 posts

George, the high-speed from Rome to Venice will most likely make 4 stops before getting to Venezia Santa Lucia. Firenze, Bologna, Padua and Venezia Mestre. You can see the runs on www.trenitalia.com

Posted by
7737 posts

As pointed out, you can't know which side of the train (port versus starboard) you'll be sitting on for any particular leg.