Please sign in to post.

Train from Rome to Sorrento

Trenitalia or Frecia? Is it better to purchase tickets on line before we get there or day of travel? I just want to be sure we get a spot. Thank you

Posted by
3812 posts

Freccia-something is the marketing name of Trenitalia's high speed trains. If you are on a Freccia train you are travelling with Trenitalia.
You can take either a Trenitalia or an Italotreno.it/en train to Naples, then the local train to Sorrento that departs from the underground tracks.
Both Trenitalia and Italotreno sell discounted tickets that aren't available on the day of travel; both companies show the walk-up fares months in advance, you can easily see how much you can save. Be aware that the cheapest tickets are "no changes, no refunds"

Posted by
32219 posts

blue,

You'll only be able to save money on the train from Rome to Naples. Check both Trenitalia and Italo to find out which one has the best prices on the day you'll be travelling. One important point to note is that the express trains (ie: Freccia) have compulsory seat reservations, which will be provided with the tickets you buy. Those are specific to train, date and departure time and can ONLY be used on the one train listed on the ticket. If you board any other train by mistake, you'll be subject to hefty fines which will be collected on the spot!

As mentioned in previous replies, you'll have to use either the Campania Express or Circumvesuviana from Napoli Garibaldi to Sorrento. I don't believe there are any discounts in buying advance tickets for those, so it's just as easy to buy the tickets when you arrive at the station. The Campania Express only operates during peak season so if it's not operating, you'll have to take the "colourful" Circumvesuviana (watch your belongings carefully). Another option would be to hire a private car service from Naples to Sorrento but that will be a more expensive option.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi everybody who will travel from ROM to SORRENTO
I have booked 2 tickets from Roma Termini to Napoli Afragola (Italo website) Depart date is Oct 30th but now i don't use them. They are non-refundable. Date can not be changed but the time can. i would like to give them away. Names on the tickets can be changed so they are can be transferred.
My e mail address is [email protected] please email if somebody want them.