Please sign in to post.

Train from Rome to Florence

Need to take train from Rome to Florence to begin upcoming tour. Should reservations be made in advance and if so, any suggestions on train travel from Rome to Florence....1st or 2nd class etc? First trip to Italy! Suggestions welcome!

Posted by
425 posts

Second class on the AV train is perfectly fine for most travellers. The AV train departs every 30-60 minutes, so don't bother reserving in advance. A second class seat costs 44 Euros.

If you want to save $$$$, there is a "regionale" train departing every two hours (no seat reservations possible), which costs a mere 16.10 Euros in second class or 24.65 Euros in first class), but this train takes FOUR HOURS instead of the AV's 95 minutes, so be warned!!! The regionale train has been upgraded recently (see my separate posting), and is now a very good, albeit slow, train. If you DO take it, first class would be more comfortable. The regionale train takes the old rail line (versus the less interesting high-speed line of the AV) and makes about 13 stops en-route.

Posted by
23301 posts

There are 53 trains a day between Florence and Rome. I am sure you can find one you like. For comparison the difference between first and second class on trains is very similar to the difference between first class and business class on our airlines. There is no such thing as the discomfort of coach class on an European train.

Posted by
6898 posts

Most Americans just don't understand the enormity of the Italian train system. 8,000 trains a day througout the country. The most traveled corridor in the country is the journey between Rome and Florence. 53 trains a day and each one holds more people than a 747. Don't worry about catching a train. Just show up and buy a ticket from the ticket machine or go to the ticket window. The seat reservation comes with the ticket. Either the ticket machine or the ticket agent will assign your seats. Most of the high-speeds are non-stops and you'll be in Florence in 100 minutes.

With 480,000 people going through Rome Termini each day, your first visit to the train station may seem overwhelming but once you see the very large digitized train schedule, you'll begin to undertand things. Also, if you arrive early, you may not see your train up on the board. There are so many trains arriving and departing, you'll may not see your train and track number until 15-25 minutes before departure. But don't worry, you'll see the time on your ticket.

Posted by
4 posts

Go online and get a ticket/reservation on a train to Florence. It's easy and knowing you have a seat reserved is comforting. I prefer to go 1st class, but 2nd class is ok too. The more travel you can reserve in advance the less you have to worry about while traveling. Enjoy, Italy is truly amazing.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for the great information!! I'll wait until my friends and I arrive to book the train then. I appreciate the help! Look for more questions coming soon as I'm sure I'll have some regarding my first trip to Italy!!