Please sign in to post.

Train from Rome to Florence

Should i buy my train ticket From Rome to Florence when i get to Rome or should i buy it online? Is the price different? Thank you!!!! Judith

Posted by
15154 posts

If you pre purchase online you may have a chance to snatch a discounted ticket. They go fast so start looking 120 days before the day you need them. However consider that discounted tickets are non changeable and non refundable, therefore you must be sure you are going to make that specific train on that date and time, otherwise you lose your money. If you want to pay full base fare to have maximum flexibility, then there is no reason to buy online ahead of time. Just buy the ticket at the station. The seats dont sell out, there is a fast train every 20-30 min from Rome to Florence.

Posted by
8700 posts

If you book 120 days in advance on trenitalia.com, you can get a Super Economy fare of €19.00. If you register on the site, booking will go more smoothly. If you buy your ticket when you get to Rome, you will pay the base 2nd class fare of €43.00.

Posted by
32201 posts

Judith, One other point to mention..... On that particular route, you could also use the new Italo trains. They depart from Roma Tiburtina rather than Roma Termini (Tiburtina is not hard to get to via Metro) and arrive at Firenze SMN (same as Trenitalia). I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard that the Italo website is considerably more "user friendly" and the service is fantastic. Cheers!

Posted by
91 posts

Go to the Italo website and it clearly explains your options, whether you want to save $ by committing to a definite time or leaving your options open. I can tell you the trains and service are terrific. We rode Italo in Jan and were very impressed.

Posted by
4140 posts

The information you have received is all good and from that aspect , I have nothing to add , However one salient point does play into this . Is your arrival in Rome from another location in Italy or is it from a transatlantic flight ? If you are arriving at the end of a flight at FCO , buying a ticket in advance is not a good idea. Any delays in making the train ( flight related ) and you will have purchased the ticket for naught . Better in that case to buy on arrival in Rome .