Please sign in to post.

train from Rome to Assisi on Saturday, Nov 09, 2013

I turn 70 in Rome! I will travel solo for the first time in Italy. I plan to travel by train on Saturday 11/09/2013 from Rome to Assisi. I would appreciate any help that will make this easier. Do I make a reservation here in USA or just show up at the terminal in Rome and purchase a ticket?
I will be in Assisi for one week. Any recommended side trips but still have a leisurely experience?

Posted by
6898 posts

Nancy, as a traveler slightly older, I am proud of you making your first solo train journey in Italy. You couldn't be going to a nicer place. We love Assisi. There are several trains a day departing Rome for Assisi. Most require a train change. But, there are a few that go to Assisi without a train change. The link I have below is a snapshot of the train schedule for most of November 9. The 7:58 and 14:23 trains do not require a train change. http://gyazo.com/7df440be8a61cff86d27010054b24669 As for purchase of the tickets online, you cannot purchase the Regionale train tickets online unless you are within 7 days of travel. So, you just show up at the train station, buy your ticket, validate your ticket in the little machine (it places a date and time stamp on it) and then board the train. You might want to buy your ticket a day or two early to make it easier. Or, oddly enough, when you buy the Regionale ticket in combination with the Intercity or Freccibianca train, you can not only purchase the tickets online, you can print them out at home moments after purchase. Finally, are you staying in Assisi? The train station is not actually in Assisi. It's a very short distance away. You can take a taxi to your hotel or you take local bus up to a bus stop and walk to your hotel. You can get tickets for the bus at the little shop next door to the train station. Please note that the hills in Assisi are steep. If you need to walk up a steep hill to get to your hotel, I would suggest the small mini-buses that make this trip much easier or a taxi from the train station.

Posted by
25 posts

I feel so much better knowing this information! Many thanks! Yes I am staying in Assisi for one week at a convent-guest house.
You seem to know Assisi well. While I am there would you recommend anything in particular or side trips? My goal is to be at leisure with no pressure and just absorb the vibs around me.

Posted by
25 posts

I feel so much better knowing this information! Many thanks! Yes I am staying in Assisi for one week at a convent-guest house.
You seem to know Assisi well. While I am there would you recommend anything in particular or side trips? My goal is to be at leisure with no pressure and just absorb the vibs around me.

Posted by
1501 posts

Nancy, if he doesn't answer, you can send him a private message. When we answer a question on here, and another follows, we don't get notified, only the original poster. Sorry, but I have no knowledge of Assisi, or I would help. You can also post a new question, such as, "Things to do in or near Assisi." That way every expert will come out of hiding and address your question! Have loads of fun!!

Posted by
6898 posts

Nancy, might you be staying at St. Anthony's Guest House? If yes, it's quite a ways up the hill. (We haven't stayed there; we just know about it and where it is). You might have to take one of the mini-buses to get there. I don't advise walking up the hill. Stand by on some further comments. My wife is returning home tomorrow from Italy and she was just in Assisi. I'll check her notes. I haven't been there in a couple of years. Until then, there is nearby Perugia with their great chocolate factory (about 30 minutes away) and a bit further way is lovely Cortona. No train station there but you take the train to Terontola and take the frequent buses up to the town. Also nearby is a different direction is Gubbio and Deruta. Great ceramics in Deruta. A nice ceramics shop in Assisi as well.

Posted by
7737 posts

Assisi is beautiful. We were there in May 2008 and really regretted spending only two nights. One logical (and easy) place to visit on a day trip is Perugia. Spoleto would be another one. As mentioned, the train lets you off in what's sometimes called "Lower Assisi" but is actually named Santa Maria Degli Angeli. (The train station says "Assisi.") SMDA is worth exploring on one day. That's where you find the huge basilica that was built around the tiny chapel in which St. Francis died. Photo here: Santa Maria Degli Angeli The town of Assisi proper is about 2 miles from the train station as the crow flies, but it's uphill, as you can see from photos. The RS Italy guidebook has a lot of very helpful info on Assisi, including the logistics of getting around in the area. I strongly recommend you pick up a copy. He has a wonderful suggested walk in the town. Here are some of the others photos I took while in Assisi, in case you're interested: Assisi in May 2008

Posted by
635 posts

Michael, more great pics. Thanks! We were just in Assisi two weeks ago. We spent five nights there, and we want to go back. Our only day-trip from Assisi was just down the hill to see the Santa Maria degli Angeli cathedral; the rest of the time was spent just enjoying Assisi. There was a lot of excitement in town as they were preparing for the Pope's visit last Friday. Here's our Assisi photo album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103837507532952449461/Assisi2013 (Sorry, I'm having trouble posting this as a hyperlink - the instructions on the formatting page don't seem to work for this.)