Please sign in to post.

Train from Naples to Rome?

I'll be sleeping in Naples and am planning to spend the first chunk of the following day at the Pompeii ruins. (planning for 8:30 to 12:30 or so). I will be going to Rome after that.
I am wondering if it is best to purchase train tickets from Naples to Rome in advance (for a better price and to make sure they don't get sold out). The only reason I wouldn't get a ticket in advance in that that would give me more flexibility to spend a little more or less time at Pompeii as the spirit moved me.
This is for a bit over two weeks from now.

Thanks.

Posted by
11613 posts

I doubt that you will save a lot on a ticket two weeks away, but keep in mind that Roma is 1.25 hours from Napoli Centrale, plus time to get there from Pompei. There are trains almost every hour; I would just wait to buy the ticket - why lock yourself in for just a few euro saved, if any?

Posted by
293 posts

When you buy your ticket and it is second class make sure you do not sit in first class. I made that mistake. My husband said " don't worry" what are they going to do to you.....well..they make you get up and walk the train to the second class section so I literally walked from Naples to Rome :) by the time we found a seat we were in Rome !! funny now....not then !!

Pat

Posted by
23284 posts

Of course they are going to move you and they could have hit you with a fine since you didn't have a valid ticket. Not hard to tell the difference between first and second class. The probability of the train to Rome being sold out is extremely rare. If that would have happen, the next train will have room. As mentioned the cheap tickets, especially mid day, are most likely gone so you will not have save anything by purchasing on line.

Posted by
1114 posts

If you're not traveling on an Italian holiday the likelihood of the train being sold out is pretty much nil.

And keep in mind you need to get from Pompeii to the train station in Naples, which means if you buy in advance you're tying yourself down to leaving Pompeii at a certain time to walk to the Circumvesuviana station (having looked up its schedule in advance, too, perhaps when you are arriving at Pompeii) and giving yourself enough time to get from it and board your next train at the station in Naples.

Go online and see what tickets cost for travel today, and for travel in 2 weeks. Captaintrain.com is an easy place to check. Once you know the price difference you can decide if the flexibility of staying as long as you want in Pompeii is worth it.

Posted by
15825 posts

As your trip is only two weeks away, I'd just buy your tickets on the day of your journey. There's very little chance of a train selling out.

My husband said " don't worry" what are they going to do to
you.....well..they make you get up and walk the train to the second
class section

Well, yes, they DO care as people who buy first-class tickets pay a premium price so you do need to sit in the class of carriage that you purchased. Why should it be any different than buying coach versus first-class tickets on an airplane?

But while we're talking about class of carriage...
We generally travel 2nd class in Italy and it's been just fine; not enough difference to warrant the cost difference unless you can land a 1st class ticket on a deal.

Posted by
32212 posts

"that that would give me more flexibility to spend a little more or less time at Pompeii as the spirit moved me."

If you want flexibility, buying the tickets on the day of travel will be the best idea. However you'll likely be paying Base Fare which is the highest pricing tier. I checked departures for 12 July, and there still seem to be some Super Economy tickets available so you could save a few bucks, although that means you'll have to commit to a specific train, date and departure time.

Keep in mind that as you're starting from Pompeii, you'll have to allow for travel time on the Circumvesuviana and if it's late and you miss the Freccia train, you'll have to buy another ticket at full price.