Please sign in to post.

Train from Milan to Venice

I am planning on taking a train from Milan to Verona and spending the night. The next day I plan to go to Venice. Can I just buy a train ticket from Milan to Venice and "stop" in Verona for the night or do I need separate tickets for separate legs?

Posted by
23268 posts

You will need individual tickets since each leg will require a seat reservation. Regional trains are the only trains that do not require reservations.

Posted by
32756 posts

You could certainly take the Regionale or the more frequent InterCity for those 2 short jumps. No reservation needed for the Regionale. Reservation needed for the InterCity, each leg.

Posted by
6898 posts

No can do with one ticket. You will need two different tickets. If you book any train type other than the Regionale train, you will need seat reservations. For the Regionale, you won't. If you buy your Regionale ticket while in Italy, I believe that the rule on the Regionale is that your ticket is good for 60 days. You can ride any Regionale train making the run listed on the ticket within 60 days. However, once you validate the ticket, it's only good for 6 hours. What's changing on the Regionale train ticket is that you can now buy them online when linked on a journey with a high-speed. I've done that recently for a journey from Assisi to Rome. One ticket was for a high-speed and the second ticket was for a Regionale. What's new is 1) the ticket is pre-validated and, 2) it must be used within a 4-hour window from the time stated on the ticket. Says so on mine.

Posted by
10 posts

No problem with two tickets. Thanks for your help!