Please sign in to post.

Train from Milan to Venice

I will be arriving in Milan on April 10th at 630 a.m. I would like to go straight to Venice. Do I take the shuttle from the Airport to the Central Train Station and get a ticket for a train to Venice there? Also, should I make the train reservation ahead of time or should I be able to get on the train without a problem once I arrive? Thanks!

Posted by
3112 posts

Because you're arriving at 06:30 on a weekday morning, the shuttle bus from Malpensa airport to the central train station may take longer than 50 minutes due to rush hour traffic (sometimes up to 90 minutes). Trains depart about hourly for Venice, so just buy a ticket for the next departing train when you arrive at the station. I always find it handy to check www.trenitalia.com and note departure times before leaving home (be sure to use Milano and Venezia rather than Milan and Venice), which gives me a good idea of which train to request. I've never had a problem buying a ticket at the Milan station for my desired train. If you want to buy panini and drinks for lunch during the train trip to Venice, there's a small grocery in the shops near the platforms (just left of center as you face the tracks).

Posted by
10344 posts

Yes, if it's Malpensa airport take the shuttle bus from in front of the airport to Milano Centrale train station, it's 50min to 1 hr to cover the 30 miles to Milan, they depart about every 15 minutes. Then get the train to Venezia (Venice) Santa Lucia station. Buy the ticket at the station. Would be different if you're landing at Linate airport.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you both for the helpful info!