Please sign in to post.

Train from Milan to Varenna

We are traveling form Milan to Varenna, and it appears that one way is to go via Trenitalia, however using their website I am unable to select a train departure/arrival/time, I receive a message "We're sorry but the chosen solution is not purchasable". I have registered on the site, but am still not able to make a reservation. Actually I prefer not to have to make a reservation, but just to know the schedule so I am not tied to a particular time. Any ideas?

Posted by
16330 posts

Since that is a Regional train, Trenitalia only shows schedules for the coming week, and you cannot make reservations. Just choose a date in the next week, the same day of travel as you will be using later, and you should be able to see the schedule. Or check Bahn.de.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks Lola, actually I put in the date August 26, and was able to see the schedule but not to make a reservation. As long as I don't need to make a reservation, and can just show up in time for the train I need, that is fine. Do these trains typically have room for people without prior reservations?

Posted by
361 posts

Hi Kit,
Yes there is usually lots of space on the train from Milano to Varenna. We stayed overnight at the Hotel Berna and the next morning when we'd finished our fantastic breafast, we checked out and wandered over to the train station. We were able to get train tickets quickly and waited less than 30 minutes for our train. Beautiful scenery but be ready to get off the train (with luggage) when it stops. One passenger was a slowpoke and he ended up taking the train to the next stop. You should have seen the look on his face. Enjoy Varenna. Sherry

Posted by
32212 posts

Kit, The trains from Milano Centrale to Varenna depart every two hours, at 20-minutes past the hour on the even hours. As Lola mentioned, these are Regionale trains, so no reservations possible or necessary. You can easily buy your tickets from one of the ticket Kiosks when you arrive at Milano Centrale. The staffed ticket office at Milano Centrale is two floors down via "moving sidewalks". There's usually a bit of a queue, but there are ticket Kiosks next to the office (as I recall, they take Euro cash, whereas the ones at track level only take credit cards). You'll pass a WC on your way to the ticket office, but note this is a "pay per use" facility so have some Euro coins at hand. As the train to Varenna is a Regionale, DON'T forget to validate your ticket in the yellow machine! A few other points to note. Your destination station will be Varenna-Esino. Travel time is 1H:03M. You'll pass through a tunnel just prior to arriving in Varenna. Be ready to disembark promptly, as the train only stops for a minute or so. Depending on which Hotel you're staying in, you may be able to walk from the station. However there should be a Taxi either waiting or only a short distance away, if you'd prefer that. I vaguely remember a Taxi office right below the station. Happy travels!

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks so much for the information, it is much appreciated!!

Posted by
1446 posts

Definitely no need to make a reservation; you won't have any problems getting a seat. The others are correct in advising that you be ready to disembark the train quickly upon arrival in Varenna. And, Ken was right that there are a few taxis waiting outside the train station. Have a great time in Varenna; it's one of my absolute favorite places in Italy!

Posted by
16 posts

Actually our destination is Bellagio - is this the best way to get to Bellagio from Milan?(I believe I read that in another persons post).

Posted by
42 posts

Kit, what is your final decision/ I too will go from Milan to Bellagio. Thought I would go from Cadorna station to Varenna and then the boat. Don't want to spend a lot of time enroute. Have you figured this out?

Posted by
16 posts

i decided to go from milan to varenna and take the ferry to bellagio. the advice i received seemed to be the best...we are going tomorrow, so will let you know how it goes and hopefully your trip will be perfect...