Please sign in to post.

train from milan to varenna

I've seen posts wanring to get ready to get off the train quickly when it get to Varenna. What is the name of the stop just before Varenna so I will know when to be ready to get off?

Posted by
6898 posts

On the runs with no train changes, it should be Lecco about 22 minutes before Varenna-Esino. On the runs with a train change at Lecco, it should be Fiumilatte about 2 minutes away from Varenna-Esino. The stop before Fiumilatte is Lierna.

Posted by
3250 posts

I think that it's Lecco but it may depend on the train--some regional trains don't stop at every station. You'll get off the train at "Varenna-Esino".

Posted by
10 posts

When a route requires a train change will you know it when you purchase the ticket?

Posted by
6898 posts

Absolutely you will know it. You have a separate ticket for each train run you are on. You'll have to validate each in the station before boarding.

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi Elizabeth--You probably have Rick's Italy book but in case not, he explains that from Milan's Central Station you take the train heading for Sondrio or Tirano--sometimes the departure board also says "Leccotirano." All Sondrio trains stop in Varenna. It's easy to purchase your ticket from one of the self-serve kiosks at the Milan train station. When returning to Milan you can purchase your train ticket at the travel agency (I Viaggi del Tivano) next to Albergo Beretta. Hope we haven't made this more complicated than it really is!

Posted by
405 posts

if you are travelling from Milano Centrale to Varenna the stations closest to Varenna are: Lecco, Mandello del Lario, Lierna, then Varenna-Esino (I don't know if all trains actually stop in all these stations), but the train will stop in Varenna for only a minute or maybe 2 minutes at the most. So as a previous poster said, once you see Lecco, get ready!

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks for the help.
We leave in 2 days and now I think I'm ready!