Please sign in to post.

Train from Milan to Rome

I'm confused. I went to the website "Rome2Rio" and found a train that leaves at 4:15 going to Rome for $45.00 (3 hours 10 minutes).
I went to the Italiarail.com and found a Standard seat for $60.94 leaving at 4:10 (3 hours 39 minutes).
How many trains are there going from Milan to Rome in the sameish time period. AND, what is the difference between these 2 sites?
I'm wondering if one of them leaves from the airport and one leaves from the city? Can you help me? THANKS!

Posted by
4750 posts

The train between Milan Centrale and the airport is an airport route only. You change trains at Milan Centrale for high- speed trains to Rome.
Rome to Rio is a third party site, so go directly to the the two train companies website/app for accurate info: Trenitalia and Italio.
Train line is also a third- party ticket broker.
Have a great trip.

https://search.ricksteves.com/?button=&date_range=2y&filter=Travel+Forum&query=Italy+train+companies&utf8=%E2%9C%93

https://search.ricksteves.com/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=Italotreno+vs+trenitalia&button=

Posted by
32212 posts

Rome2Rio is a good site for getting general information on how to get from one location to another, but not as good for specific information (IMO). For the best information on train travel in Italy, use the rail company websites....

Trenitalia is the state-owned rail network and they operate both high speed and regional trains. Italo only operates high speed trains between specific locations.

You can buy tickets on the rail company websites, or from resellers like Trainline or Italiarail. You can also buy tickets locally, either at staffed ticket offices or from the automated kiosks (which have an English language option).

It would be easier for provide more specific advice if you could provide more details on your trip. For example, are you departing from Milano Centrale or Malpensa Airport? Have you travelled by train in Italy before?

Posted by
1689 posts

There are about 80 trains per day between Milano and Roma, so yes, you will see a lot of different departures, trip times and prices.
Because there are so many trains you do have a lot of trains close together. There is a train at 16:00, another one at 16:10, and others one at 16:15, 16:30, 16:40, 16:58... (Note that we use 24 hour clock for trains in Europe)

The 16:10 is a Trentialia service, and the 16:15 is an Italo service. The two different companies operating on this route.

You can use third party sites to look up times and prices, or go directly to the operators.

Of those third party site rome2rio is probably the least useful, as it manages to mess up schedules all the time.
Trainline is good, and will show you both services by Italo and Trenitalia.
Italiarail is also just a travel agent, and in this case will only show you Trenitalia servces.

Trenitalia also has its own website: www.trenitalia.com
As does Italo: www.italotreno.it

Posted by
32798 posts

do you want 4am or 4pm. 04xx is am - before dawn. 16xx is 4pm in the late afternoon.

What date and what day and time do you want to travel and how many adults/children?