Please sign in to post.

Train from Florence to Rome

Our tour begins in Rome and ends in Florence. We have a direct flight from Charlotte, USA to Rome. The flights back to the states from Florence are terrible timing. We think we will take the train back to Rome to fly home. Has anyone done this? Is it easy to do?
Thanks,
Emma

Posted by
15802 posts

The flight timings are terrible how? Too early in the morning? Too much or too little time between connections?

Trains between Florence and Rome are fast and easy, although you will need to connect in central Rome (Termini, most likely) with an express or regionale train to Fiumicino Aeroporto. Explore your options on Trenitalia or Italo.

Italo trains are all "fast" and will only get you as far as Rome's major train stations, such as Firenze SM Novella (Florence's main train station) to Roma Termini. (Rome's most used of its main stations). Trenitalia operates both fast trains to the larger cities + slower regionales to smaller locations. There is an express train (Leonardo Express) from Termini to the airport.

https://www.italotreno.it/en
https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html
https://www.trenitalia.com/en/services/fiumicino_airport.html

I don't know as I would do this the same day as your flight. I would choose to be in Rome the night before but that's just me.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you Kathy,

We do plan on staying the night in Rome before returning home.

I really appreciate the information you shared with me.
Take care,
Emma

Posted by
20067 posts

Haven't done it, but it is easy to do.
Trenitalia has one direct train a day, but it is rather late in the day departing 11:48 am from SM Novella, arriving at 2:07 pm. Otherwise frequent trains with one connection at Termini. Takes about 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Posted by
15802 posts

Sam, you're right about that 11:48 direct Florence> Fiumicino train. It wasn't showing up when I looked at the Trenitalia site as the date I'd chosen was too far out (after the upcoming June 10 schedule update) so well done. 👍

That said, I'd still choose to stay in Rome the night before so good choice, Emma. Give a shout if you need more help? The RS "village" here would be happy to lend a hand.

Posted by
57 posts

FYI, always have a plan B especially in Italy, it is not Switzerland, there is no guarantee that anything will run on time. Be in Rome the night before you fly out, double check your reservations for hotel and give yourself amply time to get to the airport. Traffic is horrific.

Have travelled to and from Rome with not always great success in fact once left on the tarmac upon arrival and the airline crew left leaving me to work with ground crew to get to the airport terminal. Another story..

Posted by
15152 posts

High Speed Trains in Italy are generally on time. At least since Mussolini fixed the problem by introducing the FrecciaDuce trains. I don't even think the Swiss have fast trains, I heard their trains have only the Neutral gear.
Having said that if you fly out of Rome, you should spend the night in Rome as no high speed train is likely to depart from Florence early enough for a plane headed to the US in the morning.

Posted by
57 posts

FYI Currently booked from Florence SM Novella back to Rome on Trenitalia leaving at 12:48 arriving at 2:25 at Termini Station, there are trains which take 1/2 hr to the airport. If you stay overnight near Termini or out near the sirport you will be in good stead.

Posted by
40 posts

Hello, Emma:
We are also ending our tour in Florence (late June) and traveling to Rome (near Termini) for an overnight, then returning to the US the next day. We don't have train tickets yet, but it doesn't look like a big issue to get tickets same day or the day before.

Posted by
3812 posts

It's not a big issue but you can save some money getting the Florence-Rome tickets in advance, both on trenitalia.com and italotreno.it The latter has already started mailing summer discount codes to the site's subscribers.

Posted by
274 posts

We are flying into and out of Rome this summer (also direct from CLT), despite not spending any time in Rome itself. Upon arrival, we'll go straight from FCO to Florence, and when we come back, we'll stay in Orvieto before heading to the Hilton attached to FCO the night before our flight. We saved several hundred dollars that way, not to mention better flight times. Not ideal, but we've found that "open jaw" flights are not necessarily less expensive than they were several years ago. Everyone has their own preferences, of course, but I'd say it's absolutely doable (although I'll let you know later this year whether that's actually true!).

Posted by
3812 posts

there is no guarantee that anything will run on time.

Since I have recently survived first Dulles airport and then AmTrack, I'd urge you either to find a new house or quit throwing stones. Swiss are welcome to say: "Italy is not Switzerland" (thank God...), not Switzerland's groupies living in glass houses.

Posted by
20067 posts

Since I have recently survived first Dulles airport and then AmTrack

I hope it didn't leave a scar. ;-)

Posted by
71 posts

What are the times out of Florence? Florence Peretola Airport is very close to the city and easy to navigate. I have taken the 6:50 a.m. flights out of Florence to Paris and it has never been a problem.
Rome Airport is very far from the city. It is convenient as well, but if you do not need to travel to Rome - then I would leave from Florence.

Posted by
3107 posts

In over 20 years of traveling in Italy by train, I have never once taken one that left the station late, or arrived late.
They are extremely reliable.