Please sign in to post.

Train from Cinque Terre to Rome

What is the coastal train like from Cinque Terre to Rome? Are you able to get good views of the coastline or does it run inland? We're trying to determine the best route back to Rome from the CT region.

Posted by
186 posts

The train goes through pretty countryside but most of it is inland. There are a few spots where you can barely see the water. However, I would definitely take the direct train from Cinque Terre to Rome as the best route.

Posted by
6898 posts

There are three runs that depart La Spezia Centrale early in the morning that all go down the west coastline and do not go via Florence. No train changes on any of the three runs. They depart at 5:46, 7:02 and 7:59. The 7:02 is a Eurostar that takes 4.0hrs and costs 37.10Euro. The other two are ICPlus trains that take about 20 minutes longer and the cost is 32Euro. There are serveral more ICPlus direct trains later in the morning and day that go down the west coastline. It seems to be the preferred route according to the schedule. However, the 7:02 run is the only direct Eurostar run that I see during the day.

CLICK HERE to see the schedule.

Posted by
32198 posts

Teri, I'd suggest the "fast" trains mentioned in the previous posts. I travelled that route from Rome TO the Cinque Terre, and it's a nice trip. There are some nice views of the ocean in the northern part (ie: closer to the C.T.) but the route closer to Rome is more inland (as I recall).

Cheers!

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you for the advice on alternative train routes. I've taken EuroStar from Rome to Florence a number of times and have found it to be a very enjoyable experience. My hunch was that the slower train along the coast, while taking longer, might provide more views of the coastline.