Please sign in to post.

Train Connections

We are finishing a cruise in Civitavecchia and plan on spending a five days in Montorosso, in the Cinque Terra. As i check out the trainitalia website I'm not sure of which stops to use. Is it Civitavecchia, Civitavecchia (Tutte Le Stazioni), or Civitavecchia Viale della Vittoria? And what is the destination, Monterosso or Monterosso Marche? Also, since I'm not sure when I will be getting of the cruise ship should i just purchase the tickets that day or purchase them online?

Posted by
20094 posts

Civitavecchia. If you use Civitavecchia (tutte le stazione (all stations)), you will get the same results.
Monterosso. Monterosso Marche is over towards the Adriatic coast.

Posted by
32212 posts

Dennis,

You may it helpful to have a look at the excellent Ron In Rome website and especially the section on "Getting to Rome from Civitavecchia". Once you get to Roma Termini, it's very easy to get to Monterosso (the full name of the town is Monterosso al Mare but it's shortened on the rail websites).

What time does your ship dock? The easiest and quickest way to get to Monterosso is to use one of the direct (no changes) trains from Roma Termini to La Spezia Centrale. There are several of those each day, along with many others that take longer and have several changes. There are direct departures at 09:57, 11:57 & 13:57, if one of those will work for you. From La Spezia Centrale, it's only about 15-20 minutes to Monterosso.

When you buy your tickets for that trip, specify Monterosso as your end destination. You'll likely be provided with two tickets, one for the first segment on the fast train (which will have compulsory seat reservations that are specific to that train, date and departure time) and another ticket for the Regionale from La Spezia to Monterosso (DON'T forget to validate the second ticket prior to boarding that train on the day of travel).