Please sign in to post.

Train

I read somewhere that in Tirano you can walk across the square to the Swiss border and catch a train. Does anyone know the name of the station on the Swiss side?

Posted by
3812 posts

The Stazion Akross the Sqvare wit de Sviss loko on the vall

Posted by
20990 posts

It is not the Swiss border, its still in Italy. You are, of course, referring to the RhB station (Rhaetische Bahn). Trains go to Switzerland, with destinations like St Moritz and Chur, and connections to anywhere else. The actual border is a few km outside of Tirano, on the way over the dramatic Bernina Pass.

Posted by
16096 posts

You don't need the name of the station. Just the town. Tirano.

Give yourself plenty of time to walk between the two stations. It took me about........one minute. (LOL)

Posted by
16 posts

Thank you all that was helpful. Still need to know if you can park a car rental in Tirano for a few days?

Posted by
16 posts

I have read all. I contacted Tirano and they said there is no “dark” parking but plenty of free parking. I assume by dark they mean overnight. So I just emailed to ask if there is paid overnight parking

Posted by
16 posts

I just heard. Ack from Tirano and they said I could use the free parking lots mentioned for at least 2 days parking

Posted by
1782 posts

What are the Italian phrases they used? Lack of 'parcheggio scuro' could be a good thing, i.e. no unlighted parking.

Posted by
15899 posts

I’ve never heard of a “dark” parking. What would that be in Italian?
A parcheggio (Parking) can be:
Libero or Gratuito (Free)
A pagamento (pay parking)
Custodito or Non Custodito (guarded or not guarded) or also Sorvegliato (surveilled with cameras).
Al chiuso (covered) or all’aperto (open/not covered)

I don’t know what a “dark” parking would be. Maybe the person meant “al chiuso” (covered) but did not know how to say in English?

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks for all the info on the parking. I never thought that dark could mean unlighted. I will take all of the Italian words with us as we park because the town sounds so interesting we decided to stay a night. Tirano also sent me a copy of their guide with hotels B &Bs etc