Please sign in to post.

Train

What is the real difference between first class and second class. I am traveling with 4 young adults and want to make sure I get on the train but am not sure I need to buy First class tickets

Posted by
4412 posts

'Generally', the main difference is that 2nd class has 4 seats across (with an aisle down the middle), and 1st class has 3 seats across. Probably more knee room, too. Where are you riding the trains? Italy only? Here's some photos and explanations to show the differences on these particular Italian trains: http://www.roninrome.com/%20transportation/1st-class-versus-2nd-class BTW, I strongly encourage you to look through RonInRome.com's site - it's not all about Rome, either! Plus, it's a great help if you need to purchase train tickets there, need to know how to get from the airport to the train station, etc. Unless you're looking for quiet or want the extra room for a very long ride, most people ride in 2nd class.

Posted by
33513 posts

The answer varies quite a lot from country to country and from train type. You don't specify which it is that you want to make sure I get on. Sometimes there is some but not a huge difference in standard, sometimes there is a big gap. For example, on the route between London and Birmingham in the UK, Virgin have nice seats in standard class, some around tables and some airline style, standard sometimes gets overcrowded and some people have to stand; First Class has much larger seats, lots of room, no standees and they get food at appropriate times of the day. Price differences between the classes are significant. About half the train is each class. On the same route London Midland have quite similar seats in both classes, provide plugs in First, curtains and overhead lights. If the train has a trolley, First Class passengers get a free coffee or tea. The prices are only somewhat different, in a 4 car train only 24 seats are First Class, the rest standard. Does that help?

Posted by
23562 posts

For most American the expectation for 2nd class is more like coach on our airplanes. For the same comparison I think of European 2nd class train similar to business class on our planes and first class is first class. Second class seat are comfortable with good leg room, recline nicely, and is used by most Europeans. First seats are wider and bit more leg room but not a lot more. Second class for us is more than adequate.

Posted by
55 posts

We rode second class and thought it was just fine.

Posted by
7737 posts

FWIW, you're more likely to be traveling with Italians in 2nd class than in 1st. That's a bonus for me. Plus, you get to your destination at exactly the same time as those in 1st class, as the old joke goes. And you're not trapped in your seat like on a plane. So even though there's a little less room, it doesn't feel claustrophobic. You're not inches away from the back of the seat in front of you. It's very civilized. One thing to keep in mind, especially if you're traveling in warm sunny weather, is to figure out which side of the train will be in the direct sun, and choose your seat accordingly. For me that means choosing the shady side.

Posted by
267 posts

My personal experience was that I didn't find much difference between the two. In fact, when we did have a 1st class ticket between Rome and Bologna, there was NO room for our luggage. The train was pretty full. We had to stuff some under our little table, and my friend had to sit on one; my foot fell asleep and my hip started hurting! If there WAS more room, we didn't notice....
We didn't get any special treatment, except that we were allowed to go to the dining car a little before 2nd class passengers (a very expensive lunch, to be sure!). I'm not sure if there is supposed to be any type of special service for 1st class or not; we didn't see anything noticeably different.

Posted by
32325 posts

Lorie, First Class tickets buy a bit more "comfort", but IMHO they're not worth the extra cost, especially for shorter trips. If you have a generous budget and don't mind the cost, then first class would certainly be an option. As Rick often says, "all trains have both first and second class cars, travelling at precisely the same speed" (quote might not be exact, but it provides the meaning). Cheers!