Please sign in to post.

traffic ticket in florence

I received ZTL "Zona Traffico Limitato" tickets in Florence. Limited Traffic Zone tickets are to keep congestion down in the city center. I received violations and I have been looking into it. I have read that if you are staying at a hotel in the zone there is "some" recourse but thats all I got. Has anyone had any experience/success in fighting one of these. I received on ticket literally infront of my hotel and another near my friends hotel dropping them off. I am looking for help. If you have any experience with this I would love to hear from you. thanks, Pete

Posted by
7737 posts

Oh, dear. Here we go again. Type in ZTL in the Search window on this page and you'll find several LOOOONG discussions on this topic.

Posted by
32919 posts

The fundamental question, Peter, is did you notify your hotel prior to your arrival in Florence of your intention to drive into the ZTL, provide them with your car registration details and ask them to register you with the police? Yes? Did you check that they did? Yes, and they did? That's when your "some recourse" would come in. No to any of the above? You haven't followed the regulations and law and you have earned those tickets. Simply staying at the hotel without prior registration of the vehicle isn't enough.

Posted by
4535 posts

I'm afraid that if you didn't register your car with your hotel, you are out of luck. If that's what happened, then it's unfortunate that your hotel didn't say something to you if they knew you were driving. Also, there are various ZTL zones, and it's possible that even if you are registered for the one with your hotel, if you stray into another zone - say to drop off a friend at their hotel - you'll get a ticket for that one too.

Posted by
32222 posts

Peter, You might find it helpful to have a look at some of the other Threads on this topic, including one that was posted recently. I doubt very much that you have any "recourse". The fact that you received ticket(s) would seem to indicate that your Hotel did NOT register your vehicle. As the old saying goes, Ignorantia juris non excusat. As far as any recourse in not paying, a recent post here indicated that Italian authorities have in some cases hired a U.S.-based collection agency. I suspect that's something which could become more common, given the current fiscal state in Italy. Good luck!