Please sign in to post.

Tower of Pisa

We are going to Italy for the first time and wonder if we need tickets ahead of time for the Tower of Pisa? Is there anything else to do there?

Posted by
15601 posts

If you want to climb the tower, you should make reservations in advance. There is a lovely church and an even lovelier baptistry - the tower was to be the bell tower for the church. Not much else in Pisa, especially compared with nearby towns.

Posted by
501 posts

When are you going?? Rick Steves Italy guidebook will answer almost all questions, you'll want one for future use, cause you WILL go back. In my opinion, the tower is worth going to, possibly half a day excursion.

Posted by
7737 posts

I'll second the baptistry as a cool place to go. Here's a video clip that shows off the acoustics: Pisa Baptistry from our trip in May 2008.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you! I really enjoyed the video clip of the baptistry and we will work on getting tickets before we leave on the 13th. For some reason my computer does not connect with most of the websites, but I'll keep trying. I appreciate your help and advice!

Posted by
676 posts

I wouldn't buy tickets ahead of time, unless all you want to do is climb, and not necessarily see the beautiful view. If the weather is bad, you won't see much. Just go to the Tower, buy your ticket and see everything else in the Field of Miracles while you're waiting. The lines shouldn't be too bad in September, especially if it's not a weekend. There's also a great little souvenir store on the corner near the Tower.

Posted by
7737 posts

I had to laugh at the reference to the one little souvenir stand. (^_^) Check out a different video clip that I took, and watch it all the way to the end to see the souvenir stands: Campo in Pisa

Posted by
15601 posts

I guess I should clarify my post. Climbing the tower is a separate ticket. You can only go with a group, limited in number. During "tourist season" the groups fill up rapidly. If you will be there in June, you should reserve in advance IF you want to do the climb. If you are there in January, you can probably get tickets on the spot.

Posted by
2 posts

Note that if you want to buy tickets online to climb the tower, you must do it between 15 and 45 days in advance of the ticket date.