Please sign in to post.

Tours in Rome

My husband & I will be in Rome in September for 3 days & are wondering which tour company is the best to sign up with to see the Vatican, Colosseum, the Underground Tour & any other place of interest that we need to see? We need some suggestions please.

Posted by
23242 posts

I don't know if there is a best tour company or not. We used Angel Tours for the Vatican and were pleased with the tour and tour guide.

Posted by
1625 posts

We are using "Walks of Italy" that offers a combination tour of The Coliseum, Forum and Palatine Hill and we are also doing the Vatican with them. I am not sure if they are "the best" but they have a lot of great reviews. Not sure what dates you are going in September but some dates are already sold out. We purchased our tickets last month for our October trip. We are also doing a walking food tour with "Eating Italy". I really wanted to see the Trastevere neighborhood and this is a perfect way for us to do this with a 4 hour tour with food stops. These sell out fast (Our time slot is already sold out).

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks Frank & Letizia... I emailed Angel Tours but never got a response, so I booked the Rome in a day tour with Walks of Italy for our first day & booked the Eating Italy-the second day that Letizia suggested. Thanks for the advice. I had never heard of the Trastevere area & when I looked it up everyone raved about it & the tour.

Posted by
1625 posts

Wow you don't mess around!! Good for you for jumping right on it. Angels Tours may not have answered due to the time change, they are a reputable company. I am so looking forward to our Trip. I hope you come back and tell us how everything went as my trip is after yours.

Posted by
35 posts

Hello travelers,

I'm taking my first RS 'myway' tour next spring and am trying to learn the ropes. How do you find the tours? Is there a go-to website that you use? Any extra info that you would like to share would be great!
BTW the trip includes venice, varenna, cinque terre, florence, assistance and rome.

Posted by
60 posts

I see you've already booked, but I have used Through Eternity Tours and they are very good. I took tours of the Vatican, Vatican Museums and The Colosseum in 2013 and another tour with them in Florence in March.

Posted by
312 posts

Used Walks of Italy last year for four tours Including Rome and the Vatican. All 4 tours were great. Only the tour of the Colosseum
had 12 people. The others, less than 8. The guides were very informative.

Posted by
20 posts

I check on Trip Advisor for everything when my husband & I travel. This forum is great too. I found all the B&B's & hotels that we are staying inI for this trip. I had it narrowed down to two tour companies for Rome & Frank & Letizia helped me with that. I started from scratch with our September trip not knowing where to stay & now our 3 week trip is going to be amazing thanks to everyone that answered my questions. I will definitely report back when we get home. Thanks for everyone input.

Posted by
1625 posts

LAHBO- I learned about the tours reading other people trip reports and forums like this. Once I find a company I like , I go onto Tripadvisor to read reviews. Then I go to the tours website to check price, availability and see if the tour matches up with what I was looking forward to seeing. Because we are only in Rome for 3 full days we decided organized tours would work for us and that spending the money was worth our time and stress level. I learned about the "Eating Italy" tour on this forum, went to check it out...looked at a few others being offered and decided to go with Eating Italy, once I booked, my time slot sold out within a few days (And I am not going till October!).

Posted by
35 posts

Thanks all for the info... I will definitely browse around with "trip advisor" and stay connected w/this great forum.