Please sign in to post.

Touring Italy

Should we take along our passports as we tour daily with our group or should we leave it secure in the hotel room? We' ve made copies of them.

Posted by
16894 posts

Please see numerous previous threads by searching above for a term such as "carry passport." This has been discussed to death. Italy is one of the countries that requires you to carry legal ID.

Posted by
1054 posts

I always keep mine on me. Hate money belts and neck pieces to wear to keep them in. I went with a small Pacsafe messenger bag that i use as my daybag. It's probably overkill but so far no issues. I kept my 2 friends passports on this last trip in my bag also.

Posted by
1537 posts

Italy requires that everybody has to show a photo ID to police if required. Locals have ID cards, that are relatively simple to replace if lost or stolen, and are also accepted by nearby countries in place of passports. Non Europeans and British people, that have no ID card, must bring their passport at all times.

This is what the law says. If you are afraid that you passport may get lost or stolen, leave at your hotel, but be warned that in case of a check, police may legally hold you till your identity is made sure. Copies will not be accepted as are too easy to falsify. How likely is a check? Usually unlikely, unless you get, even unwillingly, into a situation needing a check.

A passport is required for operations where you need to be identified, for example checking at an hotel, buying a SIM card, in some cases even paying with a credit card, getting senior discounts, and so on.

Posted by
32222 posts

gmeseck,

No, a Driver's License would probably not work. Unless they're able to read English, they may not know what it is.

gaylecap9,

Based on recent experiences I had in Italy, having a Passport with you is a really good idea! I will continue to carry it with me at all times on future trips.

Posted by
11367 posts

I keep mine in my purse, every day, in every country. In my purse, I always know where it is. I always use a crossbody bag and my passport is in a zipped pocket with a snap flap over it. My husband carries his buried deep in his messenger bag.

Posted by
8889 posts

gmsec, No a Driving Licence is not legal ID. It is not the language issue, it is not an internationally agreed travel document. It is not in an agreed format, it does not certify your nationality and it does not prove your are legally in the country.
Only a passport (with entry stamp if needed) can prove you are not an illegal.

A private business may accept a foreign licence, that is up to them, but if the police demand ID, it must be a national ID card from a UE/EEA country or a passport.