Please sign in to post.

Tour in Rome?

I'll be spending about 3 days in Rome and want to ensure I see as much as possible. Specifically, I'd like to get into the Vatican Museum as well as St. Peter's Basilica. From what I've been reading as well as hearing, it's very tough to get into those places if not part of a tour. I was thinking of doing a day tour of Rome that includes those places. What do you think? Is that a good idea?

Posted by
525 posts

I just found some info for my trip to Italy last Oct/Nov. oops! missed some stuff.
Go to activitaly.it; tours-italy.com/rome/fountains; www.enjoyrome.com/walking; about.com.
Google original Rome walking tours. You come up with all sorts of places to check on what you may be interested in.
For St. Peter's Basilica we only had to go through a security check then walked right in. A ceremony was happening so couldn't go up to the front of the church or go to the tower. A VERY long and about 5/6 people wide line into the Vatican Museum. I just read on this site that the Pope is extending the hours now to stay open until 6 pm for 2008. In Nov. it closed at 3 pm. We missed it!! There are many fountains throughout Rome. Keep your eyes open.

Posted by
2030 posts

To see St. Peter's basilica, and tour the crypt beneath it, all you have to do is stand in line. I stood in a long one on a Sunday this past September, but it was fine -- took about an hour, but the people watching was fabulous! I think there are other parts of the crypt you need to see on a tour, and you have to book a time or tour to see the Vatican Museum -- but the basic basilica is easily available, it does take some time however.

Posted by
1 posts

I think it is definitely a great idea to take a tour. I've been over to Rome 3 times and i had a totally different experience each time. The first time i didn't take a tour, it was great, but i didn't know what i was missing out on until my third trip when i booked a tour online and actually got to bypass the 2 hour line at the Vatican museums. The guide that we used was terrific and it was definitely worth the price. We learned more about Rome in those 3 hours than we did in our whole lives/including the 2 trips before. We booked our tour through vatican-tours.com and received immediate confirmation. It really saved us a lot of stress.

Posted by
277 posts

I second BG. I was in line no more than one hour in the AM. Also take the ATAC city red bus HO HO number 110 from the Termini station. It covers over 80 sightseeing destinations with an audio guide. The ticket is good for 24 hours. A wonderful overview of the city highlights. Sit on top in front for the best view.

Posted by
32310 posts

Shari, you might check Rick's Italy or Rome Guidebooks. As I recall, there are listings for local guides, along with prices?

Good luck!

Posted by
16 posts

I'm going to Rome on the 17th of Jan to 22nd. Staying at Spring House near Vatican,E-Mail me after and I will let you know on tour operator, hotel ect. =Bill

Posted by
1449 posts

I have done 3 tours in Rome using guides recommended in Ricks book. All were excellent! I especially recommend doing the evening tour where you see the fountains and sights lit up.