Please sign in to post.

tour guides in Rome in January, 2009

I am taking my daughter to Rome for a week in Jan. for her college graduation gift. I have been reading various travel guides. Rick Steves guide mentions some local tour guides and groups, but also states in the Rome 2009 book that he has had negative responses from some of his travelers to the companies listed. My daughter and I were interested in Through Eternity tours and possibly Context Rome because neither of us have ever been there and we like educational tours. Does anyone have any suggestions on seeing Rome with or without guides? I know it is expensive, but we will probably never go back, so I want to make the most of our week. Thanks, CAthy

Posted by
1127 posts

In my opinion, the Vatican is best seen with a guide. There is so much to see that a guide is needed to hit the highlights and explain the significance of what is on display. I have been to the Vatican Museum & St Peter's without a guide and it was not very meaningful.

Rick offers free podcasts that you can download and play while in Rome if cost is an issue. If you can afford a guide, go for it. Through Eternity and Context Rome are great.

Posted by
32318 posts

cathy,

I would highly recommend Francesca Caruso, listed in Rick's book. She's an outstanding and wonderful Guide.

Happy travels!

Posted by
206 posts

We used Context summer 2007 for a tour of the Colosseum, forum and Palatine Hill. We (family of 4) thought the tour was great and was one of the highlights of our trip. Ours was a small group, four hour tour and we learned so much (our family was the whole group, but I think the small group limit is six people). I agree with the sentiment that its expensive, but possibly a once in a lifetime experience.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone ever heard or used Presto Tours in Rome? They are having a special buy 2, get 1 free! Their reviews on Trip Advisor are good, but Rick doesn't mention them. I think we also want to go to Ostia Antica and Hadrian's Villa-any ideas about guides for that? It sounds like Ostia could be done in a half day. Thanks again for all the info!
Cathy

Posted by
1317 posts

Can't help with the tours, other than to say we did the Vatican Museums on our own with just RS's book and his Sistine Chapel podcast. Whew! While I think we did just fine, and got a lot of out it, I think that if you have a guide anywhere, the Vatican is the place to have one.

For Ostia Antica, yes it can be done easily in half a day, on a one euro metro ticket (one-way). You can find the directions in RS's Rome book, or I think they've been posted on this site, both in the Helpline and in Rick's "Ostia Antica" article:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/ostia.htm

It is WELL worth going to. The town is mostly intact so you can sit on the steps of the ampitheater or climb up to the top of the apartment buildings. While the Roman Forum is impressive for size & symbolism, it really is a big pile of fenced off old rocks with a few buildings and columns left. Ostia Antica doesn't require stretching your imagination, and you get a real feel for what an ancient Roman town was like.