Please sign in to post.

Tour companies in Rome

I am looking for a good company to book day tours to Pompeii as well as tours of Vatican .Any suggestions?

Posted by
1540 posts

I have used Viators several places in Italy. I thought they were fine. It is a local tour consolidator, so lots of options.
I used them for a tour of the Vatican on my last trip and had a wonderful guide. Viator.com

Posted by
4152 posts

You can book a tour of the Vatican museums and/or basilica directly through the Vatican website: http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?weblang=en&do As for Pompeii, I would suggest getting to the site on your own and hiring a guide once you get there. It will be much less expensive this way and you'll be in control of your schedule. It's a simple train ride to Naples, then you go downstairs to catch the commuter train out to the site. Very easy to do and will save you lots of time and money. As for Viator, they are a tour consolidator and you won't know the quality of the tour until you find out which company will be conducting it. You'll need to find out that information and then do the research to find the reviews. Donna

Posted by
1127 posts

I agree that you should get to Pompeii on your own and hire a guide at the entrance. Enjoy Rome operates a shuttle to/from Pompeii that is cheaper then taking the train. On the shuttle you can even find people to share the expense of a guide.

Posted by
1446 posts

Leslie, we used Presto Tours for a 3-hour tour of the Vatican and were extremely pleased. They limit the group size (no more than 15 people) and everyone wore headsets so that we could hear the guide (I think these are required by the Vatican for tour groups). The tour guide was excellent; very knowledgeable and able to answer any questions. I felt 3 hours was just the right amount of time to get an overview of the important works in the Vatican Museums, St. Peter's Basilica and the Sistine Chapel. Have a great trip.

Posted by
23177 posts

We have used Angel Tours. Young art students and a high level of energy.