Please sign in to post.

Toll booths in Italy

Does anyone know why?
I went through a toll booth this morning, apparently not one with a ticket dispenser, so instead of backing up, which I thought might be a little dangerous😬I pushed the help button.....the gate opened and I drove through. When I reached the exit booth I explained I did not get a ticket stub, I paid the toll amount of 41/2 euros and the gentleman gave me what I thought was a receipt. When I reached my destination, on closer inspection I realized he ticketed me 70 euros if paid within 15 days???? I am at a loss for words, has this happened to anyone else?
I did go online to the autostrade site and sent an inquiry email, however I’m not sure if or when I’ll get a response.
thanks in advance, Joanie

Posted by
32776 posts

If you don't have a ticket there is no proof of where you entered the network so it is common practice to charge you a penalty and also charge you from the most distant entry point. Same policy in many countries. Same as if you lost your ticket in a car park. You have to pay the maximum price because they don't know when you entered.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

The rules will have been written on the machine, sometimes on the back of the ticket, and will be available on the autostrada website.

Posted by
4105 posts

Similar thing happened to me two years ago...the travel gods were were watching. AND I don't recommend anyone else do this.

Two friends and I were driving between Venice and Chiusi. Friend wanted to navigate to see if she would be able to drive on a future trip, so I printed a via Michelin map for her. Now, I have to admit, I was not paying attention since she said she was good at directions. At Venice we ended up in the wrong lane, traffic was very heavy and we missed the ticket machine. When we exited at Chiusi, I explained we missed the ticket, handed the map to the gal at the booth, she called over a supervisor, they conferred for a minute then accepted the map as my ticket.
Needless to say, my friend will not be driving in Italy. She says she's only doing tours.

Hope you have some luck rectifying yours.