Please sign in to post.

To/From Volterra

For my visit to Volterra, I will be depending upon the train and bus to arrive. That would mean that I would have to take my large check-in size bag on the bus. My question is does the bus from Pontedera to Volterra have underneath space for baggage, or is an urban type bus where any bags need to be taken inside?

If it is the later, then maybe I need to find somewhere that has baggage storage (maybe Pontedera train station or a nearby hotel) or is the nearest one in Florence at the train station. I would need to leave my bag for several nights.

Thank you for any kind help.

Posted by
3112 posts

I've taken bus #500 from Pontedera to Volterra. The bus is a coach with plenty of space underneath for large bags.

A word of advice, avoid the departure times listed as "S" (scuola, or school). Those buses are packed with rowdy school students who will push their way onto the bus ahead of other passengers, and you'll likely have to stand for part of the trip. On the bus I took, they wouldn't even give up a seat to an elderly woman until the driver intervened.