Please sign in to post.

Tivoli day trip from Rome

What would be the best way to get to Tivoli from Rome to visit Hadrian's villa and Villa d'Este? Has anyone used Uber?

Posted by
4105 posts

Very hard to try and do both in the same day.
Here are directions to Villa d'Este.

Look at the train schedule. https://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en
There's an 8:57 that wil get you to Tivoli in about an hour, then a short walk out of the back of the station, follow the path,cross the river, go straight until the road curves and head to your right until you reach the cafes. Villa d'Este is down the alleyway behind the cafes on the left.
Check your return times carefully. Please note entrance is cash only.
We spent most of the day here last October.

Posted by
15773 posts

This was one of the very few places I signed up for a day tour. It started at Hadrian's Villa and I felt that the guide added a great deal to my enjoyment and appreciation of the sight. When we got to Tivoli around lunchtime, the guide recommended a restaurant that was very good and reasonable prices. Some folks chose to get something light and explore the town. The guide enhanced the villa visit. From the villa, the group went straight to the minibus for the ride back to Rome. I would have liked more time at the villa and in the town. I don't think there was any reason I could not have stayed in the villa longer and then roamed Tivoli and taken the train back to Rome. That's what I'd planned to do, but I was rather tired by then and was not sorry to return to Rome. On my next trip there, I'll go to Tivoli on my own :-)

Posted by
2023 posts

Sounds like we took the same tour that Chania mentioned. Also I think we ate in that same restaurant in Tivoli. The food was great--waiter said their menu options are from old family recipes.

Posted by
11 posts

Susan and Chani, do you remember the name of that restaurant? My boyfriend and I are doing a day trip from Rome next month. Thanks. - Leah

Posted by
525 posts

We did both in an easy day; took the bus from Rome then another to Hadrian's Villa and back to Tivoli then toured the Villa d'Este...then bused it back to Rome.

Enjoy,

Jean

Posted by
2023 posts

I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant. It was small and had few tables and was near a church. Our tour was arranged in Rome and the guide said the restaurant was recommended by other tourists. I think there was a gift. shop next to it.

Posted by
2055 posts

We did the same as jean.h. There was a restaurant opposite Hadrian’s Villa where we had lunch. It was all by bus from Rome and easy.

Posted by
15773 posts

Sorry, I checked my notes and photos, no name for the restaurant in Tivoli.