Please sign in to post.

Tipping in Italy

1. Can I assume that the right tip amount for taxi drivers and restaurant waitstaff is just to round up the bill?
  2. And for hotels -- would you tip the bellboys or maids, if so, how much?
  3. Finally, sometimes hotel desk staff have been unusually helpful -- would a small gift like chocolates or a cafe gift card be appropriate? How about a hotel concierge?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Posted by
4152 posts

You never need to tip for anything but yes, you can round up restaurant bills and taxi fares.

I will usually tip an exceptionally helpful hotel employee but it's not expected.

Donna

Posted by
32745 posts

I hope they aren't allergic to something in the chocolates.

Posted by
11613 posts

Often I stay at a B&B or hotel for a week, so I sometimes give a small gift to a staff member who has been exceptionally helpful, like chocolates or flowers. Example: in Siracusa, the desk clerk made sure a slice of gluten-free pizza was delivered for my breakfast every day (the buffet had regular pizza), I gave her a flowering plant when I checked out.

Posted by
19092 posts

I once asked my hostess (Zimmer in a privat Haus)in Germany about tipping in restaurants. I told her how I tipped at the time, and she scolded me for over-tipping. She stated emphatically, that you only round the total up to the nearest euro. The believe the wait staff is paid adequately; it's just petty or impolite to take the small change (whereas, in the US, restaurant expect you to pay their employees).

Well, I can't bring myself to leave a 10 cent tip on a 12,90€ bill, so I add 50 cent and round it up, so I'd leave 14,00€ on a 12,90€ bill. When I'm traveling alone, that amounts to between 5% and 10% . If there are two of us, I often add another euro.

In Europe, you don't leave the tip on the table. When the waiter tells you, or shows you, the total amount, round it up and say, for 12,90€, "vierzehn Euro" (it helps to know a little of the language).

Posted by
906 posts

Restaurant staff in Europe, generally, are paid employees and paid differently than in the US. Tipping isn't nearly as critical to their livelihood as it is here. Having said that,

I always tip a bellboy/porter because it is worth it. I hate schlepping bags around.

I round up restaurant checks (i conti). I sometimes leave more if the waitstaff is accommodating and many are. it is fun and educational to talk with them.

Taxis sometimes usually, because it is a fun ride in the cities. It has always reminded me of a Disneyland ride, particularity in Rome and Florence.

I have never left anything for hotel maids, or staff, in Italy UNLESS they have been very, very helpful. I once left a huge envelope in France because the concierge was so good I just couldn't believe it.

Bottom line, it is totally up to you. Europeans think we are all rich so if you want to perpetuate that myth you certainly can, but you do NOT have to. Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
8440 posts

Maid at French hotel told me she gets paid above their minimum wage, and gets 5 weeks paid vacation a year. I believe her.

Posted by
5326 posts

There is no single uniform 'European' tipping culture - it varies considerably both as to the average amount, and to the job types that receive them from country to country and even areas within countries. However, if there is any generality to be drawn it is that tipping is on the decline on both categories.

Posted by
4535 posts

The key is to give anything extra to the waiter or employee. Otherwise it usually winds up in the employers coffers. And as someone mentioned, you never leave it on the table and can't really add it to a credit card bill.