Please sign in to post.

Tipping in Italy

Hi - I've read a LOT about tipping in Italy, and all the conflicting advice has my head spinning. I don't want to treat my fellow working folks badly, but I also don't want to throw money away needlessly (this is the most expensive trip I've ever taken, even though we're going budget all the way). So, is 1 Euro per person enough to tip a waiter at a cheap/moderate restaurant? Is a couple of Euros per person enough to tip our tour guides? We're taking some half-day walking tours through Rome Walks. Thank you for any advice you can give! :)

Posted by
4152 posts

You don't have to tip the waiter or the guide but if you want to just leave 2-3 euros on the table (15-20 euros meal) and the guide about 5 euros. You don't tip anywhere near what you tip here in the States. Donna

Posted by
92 posts

What the person above wrote is correct. The confusion is created by a few service workers who would love to have Americans continue to tip ridiculously much and incredibly many Americans that can't get their heads around the fact that things can be different than in the USA. Tipping too much isn't just being generous, it's being bigoted in a way too. It's basically saying the local custom isn't up to your standards.

Posted by
1170 posts

In general, I don't tip for table service. Wait staff are given a working wage and are not dependent upon tips to supplement their salaries. You won't get better service anyway. For taxis, I tip 1 Euro for each large piece of luggage and round the metered fare up to the nearest Euro. For private tour guides, I tip 10 to 20% depending on the scope and length of the tour. A very detailed and informative tour will earn a higher tip, especially when it is given by someone who has an advanced degree in their field.

Posted by
791 posts

I seldom tip and only for really great service. I tipped a great waiter in CT about 2 euro and he looked offended. I wouldn't worry about it.

Posted by
7569 posts

I guess I am in the camp that says even the 2-3 euro may be more than I tip. (considering that 2-3 euro on a 15 to 20 euro bill is a 15% plus tip) If the bill or menu indicates a service charge or cover, sometimes a charge for bread, then I typically do not tip at all. Otherwise, the typical thing to do is to leave the change (but not usually more than a euro)rounding up to the next euro. Certainly in the restaurants with a higher tourist clientele, a tip from Americans is almost expected, they may even go to pains to indicate that a service charge is not included, but I pretty much follow the same guideline

Posted by
171 posts

I refuse to tip anyone for outright bad service, even at home, and while traveling I will round up to the nearest Euro and leave the change, but will often leave an extra euro depending on the total of the bill if the service was good or if I especially liked the place. I usually leave a good tip for whoever cleans my room at the end of my stay, with a thank you note. I have a part-time job for which I recieve tips, and while I do appreciate them, I find the whole system degrading. Service workers should be paid a decent wage and not have to depend on tips.

Posted by
1018 posts

If the bill includes pane e coperto then I do not leave a tip. If the service charge is not included I leave 10% of the bill. If a bill includes the pane e coperto and I see tip or mancia (tip in Italian)on the bill I do not leave anything additional. Last year in Roma we noticed fewer restaurants charging for pane e coperto and relying on tips. Buon viaggio, RB

Posted by
37 posts

When we get table service I don't tip because there is always a "table charge" If I get exceptionally great service I may leave a euro or 2 as above. Counter service I may leave a euro if the server is attentative. I have never had to use a guide I do enough studying beforehand to not make a guide necessary so I don't know about tipping them. Otherwise there is no other need to tip.

Posted by
12172 posts

Like Cliff I look for a service charge carefully on the bill before I consider tipping. If there is a service charge, I won't leave more than a few euros and only if the service was good.................I never tip bad service and strongly recommend no one else should either. If the service is great, overtip to your hearts content but never let the waiter treat you like dirt and then feel you need to tip them.